586,036 active members*
3,629 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Boss 5 power supply problems

I have the dreaded 70007 error code. I checked the logic voltages, and there is a serious problem there. Here’s what I got from the test points, top to bottom, with the digital voltmeter black lead in the GND jack:

-12 UR 17.27 (positive, not negative!)
    -12 R -12.02
    +12 UR 27.2
    +12 R 12.03
    GND +12 -.037
    +5 UR 14.54
    +5 R 4.98
    GND +5 -.078

So, obviously, the UR part is screwed up. Anybody have any quick fixes, or things I should look at? I checked the fuses in the logic cabinet, but they all seem ok.

The unregulated does not concern me.
    There is a small terminal strip between the power supply and the logic card rack. There are 6 very thin wires there, 3 are blue and 3 are purple(?).
    Put your meter across the center two, one blue and one purple, This is the 5VDC. I prefer to check the voltage here as it tells me what is at the logic boards. Go out one in each direction, I believe that is 12VDC and the last 2 are the -12VDC.
    Adjust accordingly.But the 70007 usually means a LSI-11 (DEC KD11L ) motherboard problem.

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Boss 5 problems

George: Thanks for the reply. I checked the voltages as you specified. The +/-12 looks ok, and the 5V was 4.93, which I assume is not far enough out to explain the problem. Looks like it's retrofit time.

Hi Guys, We used to have several Boss 5 machines and one of them would always give the 70007 error on powerup. All we ever needed to do was flip the reset switch and everything was ok. The only time it would do this was on inital powerup and none of the other machines would. The Bridgeport tech told me this happened on some machines but I don't recall if he said why. We still have that machine although we don't use it now but I hooked up an extension cord to it to see if it would still error. It wound not. The only thing different now is we moved and now have 208 instead of 230 power. Maybe the voltage difference has something to do with it. When does your machine do this and will the reset switch cure the problem? Other than having to hit the reset the machine ran normal.
    Good luck,
    Gary

I have to correct the part about not doing it anymore. Tried again this morning and got the error. So much for different supply voltage.

Boss 5 problems

Very interesting. Some of the time, when I hit reset, the display goes to looking normal. And, often I can rapid a little bit. But, very soon, it won't rapid any more, and it seems dead.

Mine had this code too, I had to put another LS11 card in to get rid of it, I shortly after swapped to Mach3 and I would highly recommend doing the same if your struggling to find a replacement card, HillBilly on here supplies a BOB and good instructions to convert to mach very cheaply.