586,102 active members*
2,627 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > Working with DWG's in MC X3

Working with DWG's in MC X3

What an awesome resource--I will spend lots of time reading these forums! I just haven't found the thread I need yet.

I recently got into Mastercam to run my Mini Mill. I have AutoCAD parts I want to machine. When I open the parts in MC the scale is perfect, and the wireframe looks great with all entities correct. When I try to do a FBM Mill or FBM Drill process it says no solids exist. If I try to do an individual drill, pocket, or contour it seems like I have to select every line of an entitiy for it to even get close to doing what I want.

Is there a way to convert these DWG files into solids either before or after I bring them into MC? I assume then I would be able to use FBM processes. Any other suggestions or comments that might help?

Thanks!

Mastercam DWG imports only the wireframe geometry, the same with DXF files

I suggest you save the solids you create in AutoCAD as a .STP ( STEP ) file which you the import in, you can also have the wirefame created automattically off that solid as you import ( after selecting the file import format type-the options button will enable to be clicked to enter).

Thanks, Superman.

One problem with that idea is that I don't have AutoCAD anymore. I have Inventor 2009, and trying it there indicates that STEP is not even a Save Copy As option for a DWG. If I could import into Inventor and convert to IPT or IAM, then I could use the integrated Inventor/Mastercam utility, which really works nice, or I could save as STEP, or any number of other formats. I know this isn't the forum, but what's up with Inventor's lack of doing anything useful with DWG files?

The bottom line thing I don't understand (one of many at this point), is all the geometry and entities are there in wireframe, so it's amazing to me if Mastercam can't work with or convert these to solids one way or another. That's what I'm going to keep working on. If anybody has other experience or ideas please convey.

I've experimented with the different MC Configuration/Converter settings, and either I'm not getting the right combination, or it really isn't going to work.

I'm embarassed to admit it to this group, but my favorite drawing tool these days is Sketchup Pro. If the DWG export from that isn't going to help me then I'm wasting time there also.

Quote Originally Posted by jewells View Post
    I've experimented with the different MC Configuration/Converter settings, and either I'm not getting the right combination, or it really isn't going to work.

I'm embarassed to admit it to this group, but my favorite drawing tool these days is Sketchup Pro. If the DWG export from that isn't going to help me then I'm wasting time there also.
    Everyone has to start somewhere, so don't worry.

Wireframe is 2D geometry drawn in 3D space, this usually shows up as the boundary edges of surfaces and solids, it has no solidness, you can put your hand between the "wires"
    think of a rectangle drawn on a flat plane, now if I fill that area in, it becomes a surface, this would be the start of a barrier-a physical wall

now if that 2D rectangle geometry is copied to a different z-level and the matching corners are joined with lines, you now have the wireframe goemetry of a box --- this is not a solid, it is still only lines in 3D space

The function you want is to "solid extrude" the 2D rectangle lines a set distace to give it thickness and make a solid entity, making solids in Mastercam is very similar to AutoCAD, to create a solid shaft of various diameters is done by create a series of cylinders and joining together by a Booleen operation ( add,subtract,common). There is a variety of function available to create different solids to build up to a desired model, but just by having lines, arcs and splines on the screen is not enough to form a solid

the minimum required to have on screen for this magic wand type of treatment is a fully enclosed set of surfaces

Hello jewells,
    Have you tried to make part in IPT if you know DWG then convert to MC to do FBM. It is easier to do FBM from inventor after converted to MC. With inventor, it should be easier to convert to MC. Thanks. Aristo.

Quote Originally Posted by asuratman View Post
    Hello jewells,
    Have you tried to make part in IPT if you know DWG then convert to MC to do FBM. It is easier to do FBM from inventor after converted to MC. With inventor, it should be easier to convert to MC. Thanks. Aristo.
    Thanks Aristo. The Inventor utility that exports directly into MC does work awesome. Problem is that I have a bunch of DWG files already that I don't want to recreate. Plus, Sketchup is the most intuitive, fastest program I've ever used for CAD, but apparently doesn't export to any "solid" format MC can use, even though the command is "Export 3D Model".

What part of the attachment doesn't Mastercam understand? MC has all dimensions correct. A magic wand would be nice, and even expected.

So looking at that simple shape, what is the easiest/best way to do toolpaths, ideally using FBM? Should I extrude that wireframe? Is there an "Extrude To" function, where I can select the surface to extrude and then just click the other line, or will I always be putting in the distance?

Even I could create that piece in MC from scratch, so I'm just using as example. Thanks again!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Picture 1.png  

Quote Originally Posted by jewells View Post
    Should I extrude that wireframe? Is there an "Extrude To" function, where I can select the surface to extrude and then just click the other line, or will I always be putting in the distance?
    Sorry for asking questions when the answer is a couple clicks away..."Extend to Point" and "Extend Through All" worked okay to extrude that simple piece into a solid.

I did get an error saying that I needed to close open chains, but it still seemed to work. Now, researching open chains...