586,102 active members*
2,620 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Events, Product Announcements Etc > Polls > WOULD YOU BUY A CNC MINI MILL MADE IN NORTH AMERICA IF IT COST MORE?

View Poll Results: WOULD YOU BUY A CNC MINI MILL MADE IN NORTH AMERICA IF IT COST MORE? Post a Poll

Voters
125. You may not vote on this poll
  • no keep buying the others there cheap

9 7.20%
  • yes i would love to have the option to buy one

41 32.80%
  • yes matters how much more

51 40.80%
  • yes keeps more of us employed by keeping work here

29 23.20%
  • no i love the chinese machines there great

10 8.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 5 123

WOULD YOU BUY A CNC MINI MILL MADE IN NORTH AMERICA IF IT COST MORE?

would you buy a mini cnc mill if it cost a little more then say a siyl if it was made in
    canada and the usa and was better quality and finish so you did not have to rework
    it castings made here to not china

Hello,
    How much more expensive? It will depend also on design. Thanks.

should be about $200 more for a machine the size of syils x4 mill
    look at -(open source cast iron box way benchtop milling machine) thread
    for design

Since I have a machining center I have no use for a mini mill, all that a side I try to buy American whenever I can. If I was in the market for one I would pay an extra $200 for a domestic model. Unfortunately I believe I am in the minority,
    as I even know fellow people that work in US manufacturing jobs that buy whatever is the cheapest, they seem to care less about anyone but themselves. If you are an American manufacturer or work for one every dollar you send out of the country is a dollar that can't be spent on products you manufacture. As for cheap Chinese machines, I have read numerous threads on the internet about how people "rebuild" something they bought new and brag about fixing it! Funny how they don't see anything wrong with that. People seem to love cheap disposable junk, instead of paying more for something that will last.

Quote Originally Posted by Alice506 View Post
    Hello, everyone, I'm Alice. We are selling brushless motors.
    Where I can see the specs of your motors? Are they servos?

Yes.....for $200 I'll Buy a north america mill, i'll even go up $1000 for having it trouble free, allready tuned!

petecul

i would spend a thousand more to get a machine with better fit then there chinese counter part, i wont say asian as the japanese machine are in my point of view some of the best out there.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own. -Les opinions exprimé dans ce messages sont les mienne

There would be no point unless the quality was there, this is the complaint I have with the mainland Chinese machines, Taiwan seems to have produced better quality machines.
    I know I never buy Chinese hand tools unless I have no alternative choice.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by heilcnc View Post
    would you buy a mini cnc mill if it cost a little more then say a siyl if it was made in
    canada and the usa and was better quality and finish so you did not have to rework
    it castings made here to not china
    How do you say siyl? is it similar to Siyil? Here's a C and a U for the nations mentioned and a L8R from me...It was all "to" much for me I "guess" Oh and I don't give a crap which nation makes it if it works and is cost effective......
    Keith

sorry about my spelling its syil =chinese does not =iso 9002

$200 more? not sure where that number came from.

my estimate is a machine the size and weight of a KX3 but with longer travels (9"x18") will cost sub $3000 for the finished castings alone. a mini version (6"x12") will be sub $2000, possibly sub $1500 and a XL version (12"x24") might be closer to $4000.

so, given the x3 starts with a $999 COMPLETE machine... were alot more than $200 over as a starting point.

hello everyone
    I am a chinese people, I saw your discussion of machine about the quality and the price ,At first I just want to see everyone's views,but when i finish reading ,I would like to express my views.
    1、maybe In some industrial areas the chinese prodution is not Perfect,compared with Japan and Germany these is still a large gap between,I acknowledge this point of view
    2、Currently we in the field of machine tools mainly rely on low prices to occupy some market,I also acknowledge this point of view
    but i think in the absence of very, very high requirements under the premise that many people will choose to buy Chinese products, because in many areas people can not afford the high prices
    I think that the Chinese products do have many places to go to improve,and we should try our best to meet all the requirements
    Please a tolerant attitude towards Chinese products ,I am sure we will improve them.

thanks

I came up the $200 estimate by your prices (ihavenofish) on raw castings doing all machining in house build spindle in house to save money the syil cnc x4 cost $4.595 this poll was for cnc mini mill only not manual mill

well thats not a valid comparison now is it.

tell me why not you said the raw casting if i am not wrong would be about $1500
    for the 12" X 6"Y 10"Z mill that close to the size of the x4 cnc mini mill for $4595

really i don't think that your could compete with the chinese mill even if it was more expensive. most people in this hobby buy the cheapest they can, whether its steppers, or servos, or castings, or screws, etc. if people really wanted good hobby machines then they are already in the market with a tormach or an IH, oh yeah, both are chinese castings and one is chinese made complete. yes they cost more but the fit and the finish is already done for you. alot of this hobby is about making something better and in order to make something better you have to start with crap, hence the chinese mills. alot of these people that say they will spend the extra money won't when the time comes. look at alot of the projects that have been started, the tormach ATC, the tormach drawbar, other addons for various machines. tormach now came up with their own drawbar and the atc was sold to some other asian company to copy and peddle cheaply. will it suck? sure, but you can make it better with better quality stuff and rewritten software, but it will be on the market cheaply.

ultimately your trying to compete in a market that has a captive distribution and manufacturing center that is not profit driven. you can't compete there. it is impossible. you can buy better quality stuff from china you just have to spec it, inspect it and pay for it, but it will be better. thats what tormach does. but again your going to try and compete in a flooded market and to what benefit?

Unhappy

i was just trying to bring manufacturing back to north america but i see that it is a dream
    i did the poll and other threads before i spent money on this dream to see if it would work
    my father who is still alive is a world war 2 vet and was a tool maker till he retired and
    we talk alot and he tells me how manufacturing was years ago in the usa and it made
    me dream we could do it again i was foolish sorry

manufacturing for the sake of manufacturing in the US is foolish.

i will be making my kits in canada because its actually easy and cheap for me to do so in handfull volumes. im not trying to offer and X4 for more money and justify it with a flag. im trying to offer a better machine starting point for a price that is still palletable to diy and hobby users.

you cant simply say "its canadian made and only $200 more than an x4" because its not. it will have a canadian made frame for hopefully under $1500 ready to build up. where you end is another matter entirely.

in the end though, you need to remember, every machine from china brought to the US means someone is manufacturing something in the US with said machine - even if its just a model steam engine.

its not a foolish dream to manufacture something in North America. what we have to manufacture is not something that there are tons of on the market. maybe get the equipment to do precision ground ball screws and offer them cheaply. i don't mean we need mori grade ball screws, but in reality manufacture a better ball screw with second hand equipment that is better than the rolled ball screw that are cheap. keep your overhead low and tolerance good and you'll have a lot of sales. yes it will cost some more mony, but at least you will create an intermediate product that doesn't exist yet. you can bring manufacturing back to NA but you need to be smart about what you want to manufacture.

MFG in NA

I've been in manufacturing in the US for my whole career. The problem I see everywhere I've been is the workers expecting a check each week as an entitlement. There are very, very few people willing to do an honest day's work for and honest day's pay anymore. I've seen people simply showing up and talking about how they aren't going to do anything that day. I'm not the best at what I do, but I have a varied and vast array of experience and know how. I've worked in the electrical field, electronics field, mechanical field, construction field, and a few other sectors. What got my goat was when I arrived on a job in Connecticut to do what was called "controls start-up." I built the cabinet, but wasn't allowed to perform the field wiring. Instead I had to wait for union electricians to get off their behinds when they felt good and ready (usually an hour before quitting time) to do the terminations. Then it was up to me to energize the equipment for the first time after inspecting their work. If there was an error - had to wait for one of them to correct it. That my friends is what's wrong in America! In my shop I have people do whatever their skill sets allow them to do and expect it. That's one of the keys to keeping overhead low. Take pride in yourself, take pride in what you do, take pride in your abilities, take pride in how to use those abilities and you'll beat any nation at what they do if you put those abilities to work.

only if the fasteners are metric

The only way I would want an American made CNC mini mill is if the the fasteners were metric to match the rest of my Euro/Chinese machines. Actually for the money I wish I would have just bit the bullet and bought Wabecos in the first place, although I must say I simply love my BF20! (I have a Optimum/Top Tech BF20L mill, and a Lathemaster 8x14 lathe). I have worked in American industry most of my life and wouldn't mind supporting it with my business. But the only reason I ever buy American is just to give economic support to American workers. Quality/design wise I would honestly rather have a German designed and built machine tool, as I feel their workforce overall is better trained and educated (probably because they are still respected and valued by their society)

Page 1 of 5 123