586,032 active members*
2,962 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Makeing bearing blocks

Hi all, I just got set up in my new cnc friendly house. YAY!!! I'm in the process of designing my second build and one thing I'd liked to do to save money is to build my own bearing blocks on my current cnc machine out of wood or mdf.

I have some 1/2 inch ID bearings and some nuts that fit my 1/2 10 acme screws. I'm trying to figure out where the bolts and washers would go.
    Is it...
    bolt, washer, bearing, coupler or
    bearing, washer, bolt, coupler
    bolt, washer, bearing,washer, bolt, coupler

I'm attaching some pics of what I kind of mean.

Also any tips on how to secure the bearing in the block? Should I do a two piece block where the bearing is sandwiched? Should I make a slightly smaller hole and press it in there? Any advice would be great.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bearing a.jpg   bearing b.jpg   bearing c.jpg  

This is obviously a thrust bearing situation and not just a radial bearing block based on the nuts and coupler... yet you don't list thrust bearings in your position call out.

Typically it would be the coupler, locking collar, washer, thrust bearing, washer, bearing block assembly which consists of a cover plate, radial bearing, & bearing block, washer, thrust bearing, washer, & finally locking collar.

I'm taking a guess and I'm going to say you are looking to use the nuts in place of locking collars but unless you double them up as jam nuts a singular nut on each side of the radial bearing can't restrain the bearing block assembly unless you are going to jam nut the whole shebang on the radial bearing inner race and let the radial bearing handle the thrust forces...??? OR am I looking at this all wrong... which is a chronic condition with me?

Senna

Quote Originally Posted by Senna View Post
    This is obviously a thrust bearing situation and not just a radial bearing block based on the nuts and coupler... yet you don't list thrust bearings in your position call out.

Typically it would be the coupler, locking collar, washer, thrust bearing, washer, bearing block assembly which consists of a cover plate, radial bearing, & bearing block, washer, thrust bearing, washer, & finally locking collar.

I'm taking a guess and I'm going to say you are looking to use the nuts in place of locking collars but unless you double them up as jam nuts a singular nut on each side of the radial bearing can't restrain the bearing block assembly unless you are going to jam nut the whole shebang on the radial bearing inner race and let the radial bearing handle the thrust forces...??? OR am I looking at this all wrong... which is a chronic condition with me?

Senna
    No they are just regular radial bearings.

Hrmm... I didn't think of making my own lock collars and didn't know they would be needed. I'll guess I'll do that too! I was just looking for a simple solution useing what I have.

I'm trying to make something like this but with 1/2inch id bearings
    http://cgi.ebay.com/3-Aluminum-Beari...d=p3286.c0.m14

After reading your post I'm thinking I could get away with, coupler, lock collar, washer, bearing, bearing block, washer and lock collar. No nuts.

Here's a diagram of what I recommend for my bearing block setups, including parts you can buy from McMaster Carr or MSC to give you thrust bearing capacity as well. All designed for a 1/2" bearing:

http://cncrouterparts.com/product_in...products_id=58

If you can make the block and cover, you'll be able to replicate this. It's worth the couple of bucks for the thrust bearings and shaft collars to keep things running smoothly.

Ahren
    www.cncrouterparts.com