586,545 active members*
3,046 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > Commercial CNC Wood Routers > Camaster > First real problem with older warthog.

First real problem with older warthog.

In 2005 I bought on ebay warthog from Josh Glenn. I drove truck to LaFayette, spend nice day there gathering my first knowledge about CNC. then I took the machine to Poland where I started small bussines in boatbuilding.
    The mashine worked flawlessly till last friday.
    Cuting a plug from MDF after 2hours of work it stoped. When I tried to abort program Wincnc informed that the program was aborted by user but it took no efect. When i tried to close wincnc it informed that program is still running. and stoped to response. I needed to close it using task manager. After restarting position on wincnc was absurd. I homed the machine and and started to continue. It worked for 5 minutes or 2 hour and stoped again. After homing Z was sometimes 1mm off and needed to be adjusted.
    I have no idea where to look for the reason. I did clen reinstalatin of wincnc but without luck.
    Malutki

we have some new axcess to support, for the older machines

www.camheads.org

i would clean all drives of dust but do not blow directly into components

what drives do you have? the machines have change a lot and the tyoe you have are no longer manufactured as the company who bought warthog is out of business, i have one of the older machines and will try to help

show us some pictures of machine and the controll box

jim
    James McGrew CAMaster 508 ATC
    www.mcgrewwoodwork.com http://dropc.am/p/EJaKyl

Here are some pictures of my machine. I moved the control box behind the wall to save it a little from dust. I have no idea what drives I have. The machne worked so good that I had no need to know the components. I hope you will able to find something from pictures.
    Today I did finishing on plug and machine worked fine. Tomorow i'll start another plug and I'm expecting the worst.
    Malutki
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cnc 001.jpg   cnc 002.jpg   cnc 004.jpg   cnc 007.jpg  

cnc 009.jpg  

you have gecko drives !! each one has its own cooling fan, generally when the entire machine stops it is a cable problem, also the daughter board for wincnc can act up clean inside the computer and do not blow dust directly into the components, i will show this to some guys who are familiar with the machine

also the 37 pin cable coming out of the grey controller box looks to have stress on it, relieve it a bit and check to make sure it has a good connection

jim

Cut to the Bone Guest

malutki

Hello malutki sorry to here about your problems.
    Jim has given you some great things to look at first.
    I have a few questions.

1. the gecko drives (the black boxes with the fans) what number do they have on them i can not see them from the picture. It will be G something.

2. Do you have high speed internet that can be hooked up to the control computer?

3. It sounds to me that the computer may be the problem. what version of wincnc are you running? and what is the specs of the computer.

My name is Joey I work @ CAMaster CNC.

Thanks,

Thanks a lot for your help.
    It looks like thoroughly cleanig was somewhat effective. Cuting secod plug i had only 5 stops. comparing to 24 at first plug.
    All stops happend when cutnig in XY plane. This is the only regularity I was able to find.

I have no internet in my workshop. On the control computer I run wincnc 2.4 (there are same more numbers on manufacturer CD), Meshcam, Sheetcam, Rhino4, Acad 2004. Cad software is used only if i need to check somethig. Designing and drawining I do on another computer.

Gecko numbers, odditional numbers on Wincnc, and detailed specification of control computer I need to check in woekshop so will send them tomorow.
    Once more thank for your interest. It makes me feel much safer.
    Malutki

the fellows who built these machines are still some pretty good guys about helping us!! glad to know we can help

jim

the 4 numbers on your wincnc disk are the controll numbers which match your software to your daughter board (save these) the geckos are probably 201's, i would check and order an extra (it is a good idea) the motors i would look at the end of the motors and see if there are any numbers and we will tell you wher they came from but there are repalcements available (and in europe)

jim

Just as an FYI and josh you and joey can both back me on this. MDF creates static charge and has been known to cause the wincnc cards to get a brief signal charge that can cause the system to think it has been aborted... Ive seen this happen a lot, sometimes it goes as far as to Blow the bit and port on the card...

Thanks,

Cut to the Bone Guest
    Yes and PVC and plastics will do the same. This is why Jim and others have a charge line on there dust boot it takes the charge out of the mat. also a good earth ground helps in this as well.