586,116 active members*
3,519 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Cutting PVC Parts

My company uses around 5,000-10,000 1/4" x 3/8" brass hose barb fittings and would like to machine a non-metallic fitting.We assemble 2" pvc manifolds with the hose barb fittings for solar pool heating systems and the pool water quality is not the best for brass fittings.Metal fittings are too expensive as well.We have access to inexpensive 1/4" scedule 80 www.harvel.com pvc pipe.The hose barb will be a weld-on fitting being slipped into the drilled holes in the 2" pvc manifolds.A flexible pvc tubing will be slipped over the barb fitting and clamped with a stainless steel pinch clamp.The pipe has enough thickness for replicating the hose barb fittings.What would be the most suitable machine for making these barb fittings without taking too much labor ?

I'd just get quotes from a local screw machine or lathe shop.

If you want it in house for other reasons most any small CNC lathe with a barfeeder would do. I'm partial to the Hardinge CHNC because I own one.

Over time, having this part molded would be lowest cost; if you stay at 10,000 per year.

Karl

Cutting PVC Barbs

I have already been down that road.The cost to edm the molding die is around $50,000.00 and would have to purchase 10,000 hose barbs minimum order.A machine shop would charge about a dollar per barb.I can buy brass 1/4" x 3/8" hose barbs for $.40 each.

There are prototype molds made for small runs. Everything is standard exept you burn in the force and cavity. These can be done for a fraction of your quote. But you are on the small quantity end of things for molding. Just one company to contact: ProtoMold of Maple Plain, MN

Do you have people with the skills to run a CNC lathe. And, especially, do minor maintenance? If so, a small CNC chucker sized lathe with bar feed would serve you well. It will take a long time before you get below 40 cents a part though; you won't be running the machine enough to spread the costs out.

Karl

Quote Originally Posted by sunworksco View Post
    I........A machine shop would charge about a dollar per barb.I can buy brass 1/4" x 3/8" hose barbs for $.40 each.
    One reason the quote is higher than you can buy brass ones could be that PVC can be a nuisance to machine. It can create long stringy chips that wrap around everything and make it impossible to simply stick a long bar in a barfeeder machine and walk away for an hour or so. Also PVC is flexible and you cannot simply plunge in with a form tool to make the barbs which is quite possibly the way brass ones are done.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

PVC Barbs

Molding the hose barb is the best wat to go.
    Just need a molded barb that will glue bond well onto the 2" pvc manifolds.