586,036 active members*
3,979 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

TURBO charger

Hey everybody I'm looking to build a turbo charger for my pick up and was wondering if anyone had the plans/specs to build one?

what turbine inlet flange style?

Quote Originally Posted by cncjunky View Post
    Hey everybody I'm looking to build a turbo charger for my pick up and was wondering if anyone had the plans/specs to build one?
    I can't imagine that this makes sense on any level. The adaper plates, plumbing etc., maybe, but the turbo, no.

Quote Originally Posted by Dropout View Post
    I can't imagine that this makes sense on any level. The adaper plates, plumbing etc., maybe, but the turbo, no.
    Yeah, I definately worded my thread wrong. I know making the turbo charger itself would not make any sense. What I should've asked is, does anyone know how to completely retrofit a turbo charger from one vehicle to a diferent? The adapter plates and plumbing is'nt what I'm asking about, I wanted to know about the electronic aspect of this. If it would even be worthwhile retrofiting a turbo from one vehicle to another or just going out and buying a kit?

Depending on the truck there may not be an electronic aspect to this.

What make, model and year?

Quote Originally Posted by Dropout View Post
    Depending on the truck there may not be an electronic aspect to this.

What make, model and year?
    I'm pretty certain that it is, but it's a 98 Dodge Dakota 4 cylinder.

Turbo swaps

In some regard it is easier with injected vehicles: With forced induction, the mass air sensor will see more air coming in, and to the limits of its program and the capacity of the fuel system, the computer will adapt. There is some limit to that of course, but I would be surprised if someone doesn't have a chip or programmer for it already to compensate. Summit Racing has a really good search tool for finding out what is on the market if you want some guidance. Bully Dog and Gale Banks might have some information too.

As for the donor turbo, the logical place to start would be a vehicle with an engine about the same size. Too small a turbo will give great response but limited boost at high speed, too large will have performance to spare but take longer to respond.

The economics might make a donor kit attractive, it depends on how much satisfaction you get from doing it yourself.

Another option that would be about the same cost as a turbo kit would a Roots or twin-screw type supercharger. It means a different intake manifold most likely, but it saves the complexity of the exhaust plumbing. My Car has one, and the low-end torque is all kinds of fun.

Jim
    No time to do it right, plenty of time to do it twice.

Quote Originally Posted by youngjim View Post
    In some regard it is easier with injected vehicles: With forced induction, the mass air sensor will see more air coming in, and to the limits of its program and the capacity of the fuel system, the computer will adapt. There is some limit to that of course, but I would be surprised if someone doesn't have a chip or programmer for it already to compensate. Summit Racing has a really good search tool for finding out what is on the market if you want some guidance. Bully Dog and Gale Banks might have some information too.

As for the donor turbo, the logical place to start would be a vehicle with an engine about the same size. Too small a turbo will give great response but limited boost at high speed, too large will have performance to spare but take longer to respond.

The economics might make a donor kit attractive, it depends on how much satisfaction you get from doing it yourself.

Another option that would be about the same cost as a turbo kit would a Roots or twin-screw type supercharger. It means a different intake manifold most likely, but it saves the complexity of the exhaust plumbing. My Car has one, and the low-end torque is all kinds of fun.

Jim
    Yeah that's what it needs is more low end torque. This thing is a gutless dog, I'd never buy one again. I paid $3,800 for this truck with about 68,000 miles on it. A buddy of mine knew I was looking for a truck and he found this truck in California, he happend to be going there and had found this truck on some auto trader website or something like that. So he volunteerd to check this truck out for me while he was over there. He tells me "oh it does'nt have a whole lot of power, but what do you expect from a 4 cylinder", and tells me it's way clean and is a good deal he would'nt pass up. So I say alright, well I have him pick it up for me and it is a way nice truck for$3800, but it is gutless. I changed the catalytic with a aftermarket and bought a new cpu chip for truck and it did run better and was'nt as gutless as before, but I still am not satisfied. My debate is, is it worth putting the extra money into or just peddling it and getting something better? What kind of money did you put into your supercharger? What kind of increases in performance did you see? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cncjunky View Post
    My debate is, is it worth putting the extra money into or just peddling it and getting something better? What kind of money did you put into your supercharger? What kind of increases in performance did you see? Thanks
    Forced induction will cost anywhere between about $2500 for a centrifugal supercharger kit to $5-7k for a turbo kit. With that, figure on feeding it premium, too.

I'd look around at a V-6 or V-8 truck, it would almost certainly give the same result cheaper and more reliably, on pump gas to boot.

The blower on mine came stock, but they got an advertised bump of 80 HP and 80 lb-ft of torque from the previous year, same displacement.

Jim
    No time to do it right, plenty of time to do it twice.

Quote Originally Posted by youngjim View Post
    Forced induction will cost anywhere between about $2500 for a centrifugal supercharger kit to $5-7k for a turbo kit. With that, figure on feeding it premium, too.

I'd look around at a V-6 or V-8 truck, it would almost certainly give the same result cheaper and more reliably, on pump gas to boot.

The blower on mine came stock, but they got an advertised bump of 80 HP and 80 lb-ft of torque from the previous year, same displacement.

Jim
    Yeah I already have a v-8, but I was just looking to boost this truck. For the price though it's not worth it. Not to mention it's a stock motor and probably could'nt hold up to those pressures and would blow up. Thanks though

whats the engine code one the firewall? If its a g54b then theres already a turbo kit readily available in your local junkyard on any turbo starion.

you can safely run a few pounds of boost on it on the stock setup. Get a t3/t4 and set the wastegate to open at ~5 psi.

Quote Originally Posted by SlowRiderr View Post
    you can safely run a few pounds of boost on it on the stock setup. Get a t3/t4 and set the wastegate to open at ~5 psi.
    Its never about pressure. its about volume of air and the potential HP capabilities of your fuel system. Also, there's a hundred different combinations of the above mentioned turbocharger so, saying t3/t4 without specs is shooting in the dark.
    I know a thing or two about putting a turbo where it doesnt belong, lol!

Steering shaft clearance

__________________________________________________ _________________
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86985 my work in progress