586,033 active members*
2,894 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Mini Mill Coolant Questions

Hi. I just purchased a used mini mill. I have no reference for what is normal, but the pump doesn't push out the coolant with much force at all. It won't even reach the tips of my shorter tools.

I know where the metal screen is, and it is clear, but is there any other filter or anything that might be partially plugged?

Also, the first thing I cut was some plastic block. Is it okay to let the little plastic pieces into the coolant which will float, as compared to metal that will sink?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by jewells View Post
    Hi. I just purchased a used mini mill. I have no reference for what is normal, but the pump doesn't push out the coolant with much force at all. It won't even reach the tips of my shorter tools.

I know where the metal screen is, and it is clear, but is there any other filter or anything that might be partially plugged?

Also, the first thing I cut was some plastic block. Is it okay to let the little plastic pieces into the coolant which will float, as compared to metal that will sink?

Thanks!
    Jewells,
    I have seen this a number of times. The plastic chips will get sucked into the pump and plug the pump, any manifolds, coolant lines, and nozzles. Whenever my guys mill plastics, they are suppose to cover the drain(s) with a rag. Before they start using the machine with coolant, they are suppose to clean the machine out thoroughly. Plastics are not good for the coolant system, you should take precautions when milling it. You will need to tear some components apart and clean out the system. Hope this helps.
    Just a good ol' boy, never meanin' no harm.
    Joe

You may have to disconnect some of the coolant lines and blow things backwards with air to clean them out. Then get a normal domestic water filter like The Home Depot has for about $40 with a coarse grade woven filter and run the cooant line from the pump through this and then to the machine. We have these on all our machines and they completely solve the chip clogging problem; filters last anywhere from 3 months to a year or so depending on the material being machined.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.