586,269 active members*
3,295 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

VistaCNC iMach-Pro Pendant

I just received my VistaCNC iMach-Pro pendant. It's a very nice little gadget! VERY nicely made, and a lot of functionality in a small, neat little package. For about $150, I think it's a very good deal.

http://www.vistacnc.com/b02_pendant_...dant_3_pro.htm

I did run into one minor snag - It's really intended to work on a PP, but I have a SmoothStepper. However, I was able to get it working on the SS, using mostly the 6 inputs on the "third" port on the SS. I'm currently having problems with a couple of the functions, and what appears may be a bug in their plug-in. However, in just a few hours, I've been able to get most of the functionality going without their plug-in, just using a simple macro-pump "driver", and I'm confident I can get the rest going as well.

The plug-in functionality is as follows:

Jog X/Y/Z/A in either multi-step or velocity mode
    Move X/Y/Z/A in "continuous" velocity mode
    Adjust FRO and SRO (these are not working for me right now)
    CycleStart/FeedHold/Stop/Rewind
    Spindle On/Off
    Jog On/Off
    E-Stop

My macropump functionality will be as follows (assuming I can figure out how to do a couple of odd things in VB....):

Jog X/Y/Z/A in either multi-step or velocity mode
    X+, Y+, Corner, and Z- probde modes
    Adjust FRO and SRO (these are not working for me right now)
    CycleStart/FeedHold/Stop/Rewind
    Spindle On/Off
    Coolant On/Off
    E-Stop

The controls are very simple: two 4-position rotary switches, an MPG, a momentary pushbutton switch, and a latching E-stop switch. The interface to Mach is trivial as well: 2-wires each to binary encode encode the rotary switches. 2-wires for the MPG. 1-wire for the momentary pushbutton. Gnd and +5V.

Regards,
    Ray L.

This thing is sooooooo cool! I've now got a macropump that implements the full plug-in functionality, plus a few things the plug-in doesn't do, and still have a few more things I can add. And I've customized some of the features to suit my needs. This is a GREAT little pendant for not much money! Highly recommended!

Regards,
    Ray L.

For anyone who gets a VistaCNC pendant, and wants to customize the functionality, I've posted my macropump "driver" below. It allows a great deal more functionality (about 30% more functions) than the VistaCNC plug-in, and can be easily modified by anyone familiar with VB.

Could easily be used as the basis for a driver for a custom pendant as well.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Thanks for the post Ray. I am looking at one of these for my IH and thought it too good a deal for 150.00. Sounds like its just what I'm looking for. Where is the macropump driver?

Thanks,
    Devin

Quote Originally Posted by devincox View Post
    Thanks for the post Ray. I am looking at one of these for my IH and thought it too good a deal for 150.00. Sounds like its just what I'm looking for. Where is the macropump driver?

Thanks,
    Devin
    Devin,

Two are below. The "Standard" one exactly duplicates the functionality of the VistaCNC plug-in. The second is my "custom" version, which adds a number of new functions, and re-defines some of the existing ones.

Regards,
    Ray L.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Excellent! Thanks Ray.

Ray L.

I don't have any experience with setting up or writing a macro.
    I have a Vista P3A Pendant using the provided Vista plugin... which does not work with an ESS running on Windows 7 64bit.

I wonder if you modify your script to suit the P3A Pendant and tell me how to set it up in Mach3.

I understand if it's too much to ask.

Thank,
    Another Ray L.

Re: VistaCNC iMach-Pro Pendant

Hi Ray,
    Sorry, I know this is an old thread, but for the life of me, I can't find the thread where everyone was giving me pendant recommendations. Anyway.......Since you've had yours for awhile now, would you get a different model? No one mentioned these files the other day. Should I plan on using one of them since I have a smooth stepper as well?
    Thanks!
    Don't have to be too bright to be me

Hi mklots70,

VistaCNC offers a wide variety of these pendants, but for me this model does everything I want and works great with the supplied plugin, Smooth Stepper and Win7. I've worked with CNC's for the past 30 years and it's the first pendant I've used with so much functionality. I'm sure their other pendants are great as well.

Another Ray L.

Thanks A-Ray(Another Ray)
    I guess I should have waited another couple of days before ordering. I've got a P1A-S on it's way. I guess if it's not enough, I'll move it to my lathe and get the 3A. I was seriously considering the 3.....I like the control buttons that are on it and the E-Stop being on the front.

I do have a Smooth Stepper on mine......am I going to run into grief? Should I expect to install O-Ray's(Original Ray) macros?
    Thanks!!!!

mklotz70.

I did not use macros on mine. Just PA3, Smooth Stepper and Win7. You may have to watch that Mach 3 and all other settings are correct.

A-Ray

Quote Originally Posted by allaces View Post
    mklotz70.

I did not use macros on mine. Just PA3, Smooth Stepper and Win7. You may have to watch that Mach 3 and all other settings are correct.

A-Ray
    Just thought I'd follow up a bit. I did get a VistaCNC P1A-S pendant. I've put it on the lathe for now since the mill still isn't up. I'm loving it!!!!! I will definitely get a second one for the mill, but I may get one with the cycle start, rewinde, etc., controls on it. The lathe is really small and I don't really need them on it.
    Thanks!!!!!
    Mike