586,058 active members*
4,636 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

I use Enroute

Hey guys, I use Enroute Pro. I am having some difficulties though, or Enroute is just being a pain in the... I have .stl files to run but I only want to actually tool path a small section for a taper, the rest can just be internally or externally routed for interior holes or the perimeter shape.
    Has anyone tried this or know how to get this to work? If i create a box around the area i want to tool path the tool path falls off all 4 sides of the surface i created in turn cutting into good parts of the part.
    Is the only way to run a .stl file with some round features to tool the whole thing with a Ball end at 80% overlap!!?

Jake

No ideas? Basically i want to cut a square with a hole in the center with two sides of the square tapered from the top to bottom. Is there a way to do this in enroute? A simple part cannot be this difficult can it?

Try selecting the square, then exploding it. After exploding use the offset open contour or engraving toolpath.

the square should now be toolpathed w/ 4 start points (one per leg of the square) select the 2 sides that need to be tapered and select the project toolpath button and enter the slant angle.

-Park

Thanks for the reply. What is the project toolpath button?

Found the project toolpath button, but i get two choices, angle or height but no area to put in a value?

DIY'er,

This is very simple with Enroute....

If you just have a closed contour, square, cirlce, polygon etc, to use as a 'mask' over the areas you want to machine Enroute will do it just fine. Once your object is a relief in Enroute, you just select the mask positioned over the area to machine (don't forget to select the relief first) and then apply a Hatch Fill or Island Fill machining strategy being sure to check 'Apply to Relief' and 'Apply to Surface' check boxes under Fill Parameters.

By adjusting the mask size you can adjust the machining area as required. You can use multiple masks to machine more than one area at a time. The masks do not have to positioned in the 'Z' plane over the part. Enroute is smart enough to know what you are trying to do and the result is the same.

Hope this helps,

Tom in PA

I dont have enroute to look at right now, but i will check this out first thing tomorrow morning. Where is this mask feature? Thanks for the help also.

Jake

Jake,

Masking is not a tool just a technique in Enroute to do just want you want, machine a specific area.
    The trick is just drawing the mask, any closed contour will do, and toolpathing. Enroute takes care of the rest.
    If you need an example video, email me and I will show you how it's done.

Good Luck,

Tom in PA

I got it, but the problem is if you add any overcut to the masked area the tool goes to the final depth, cutting into parts you may not want cut that deep. But if you dont add overcut it does not cut the piece all the way from what I have seen. If you dont mind doing a vid that would be greatly appreciated to see if we are on the same page. Thanks for being so helpfull.

Jake

Jake,

Enroute works within the boundary of the mask regardless of the cutter diameter so you should be able to apply overcut to approx. half of the cutter diameter and still not fall over the edge.
    Make sure that your mask size is the exact size and shape of the area you want to machine and apply overcut accordingly. I just tried it on a small angled face part and it worked OK almost to the half diameter point and then fell over the edge which is what you don't want to happen, correct??

Give it a shot,

Good Luck,

Tom in PA

Are you guys applying the mesh to the relief with that tool? Or are you just creating a flat relief above the mesh and it is getting applied to the mesh when you select a tool and check that box? Cause I can't seem to get either to work for me.

Whoa there Jake.....

Now you talking about applying meshes to reliefs vs. toolpathing within a mask.
    What specifically are you having trouble with?? Let's start from the begining.

Tom in PA

Hahah,

Sorry to confuse you, ok the beginning.

Maybe there are two ways to do it. Lets start with the way I am currantly.

I have a .stl mesh that I have in Enroute. A square with two holes cut into it and then the perimeter cut obviously. But 1 side has a 4" radius.

Well I can go and do a simple router offset to do the holes and perimeter by drawing in my own outline of the part.

To cut the 4" radius though I have to ball nose it to be smooth. Radius starts at the highest point of the part or the top and rolls down to the bottom, again only 1 side has the radius.

I have been trying to make a mask relief and apply that relief to the .stl mesh then tool path it, with no luck. It cuts all the way down all sides of the mask.

Not actual part but same deal, here is a mesh to start with.
    I just want to ball nose the round corner section.

Jake,

Can you email me a sample file and I'll do a video on your part, if I can.

Tom in PA