586,123 active members*
3,202 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Why VB, why not C++, Java or other?

Just wondering, why is there a forum for Visual Basic but not for other computer programming languages such as C++, Delphi etc? Is VB somehow related to CNC more than other languages?

Visual Basic is the advanced development stage of C++ and was developed to handle more complexities in coding. It has grown to be a very powerful and useful tool. It is appropriate and therefore used in many aspects of the machining and programming world. Why would you want to backslide into the past and try to deal with the future using only tools of antiquity.
    Don
    IH v-3 early model owner

Advanced version of C++ ????

ROFLMAO.

Where do you get your information???

-James
    James Leonard - www.DragonCNC.com - www.LeonardCNCSoftware.com - www.CorelDRAWCadCam.com - www.LeonardMusicalInstruments.com

Quote Originally Posted by myhäje View Post
    Just wondering, why is there a forum for Visual Basic but not for other computer programming languages such as C++, Delphi etc? Is VB somehow related to CNC more than other languages?

Go here, to request new sub-forums.
    Free DXF - vectorink.com

OK, I was thinking of C++ not VB ! Disregard previous post, I tried to scan in a copy of page I was rememboring, but it is too big for this post. Sorry
    Don
    IH v-3 early model owner

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    Visual Basic is the advanced development stage of C++ and was developed to handle more complexities in coding. It has grown to be a very powerful and useful tool. It is appropriate and therefore used in many aspects of the machining and programming world. Why would you want to backslide into the past and try to deal with the future using only tools of antiquity.
    that was the biggest out of ass statement i have ever read. But not to worry we all do it sometimes. Microsoft makes it easy to add scripting functionality to programs written in their ecosystem with VB script. That is why its common and relevant to tweaking software like Mach.

i am new to this site and was wondering that there were some threads to have some discussions on Visual Basic but there are no threads to discuss the later and better versions like the Visual Studio. There is also no mentioning of the java programming the most widely used programming language for machine programming. I hope that there will be one in the near future.

I don't know why there is even a visual basic forum to be honest. this is cnc zone, not programming zone.

Well, aside from the reasons posted above in post #6, the Basic language is fairly integral to many controllers. Take a look at a Macro B program and then look at a sample Basic program. The structure and terminology are undeniably similar. I don't know of any other language that is closer.

My Fadal's Macro language (slightly different than Fanuc's Macro B) is almost identical to Basic.