586,036 active members*
4,343 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Replacing Step Motors

I'm slightly embarrassed to have to ask this type of question.... It just shouldn't bee so hard to figure out.

I am replacing the step motors on my machine and just can't quite figure out how to remove the old motors. I have removed the four mounting screws in each corner and thought it would pull away. How do the motors attach to the travel rod? Anyone have experience putting these things together or taking them apart?

Most step motors have a shallow flange (round) inside the square flange. Some mounting brackets if machined to close tolerances can "capture" the flange. If you romoved the four mounting bolts and it's still not loose then take a rubber mallet and GENTLY tap around first the flange and then the motor body. Depending on how long the motor has been mounted it may have stuck itself to the mounting flange. There is no hidden fasteners or set screws. The motor shaft does not slide out (if it does you can throw the motor in the trash)

TOM caudle
    www.CandCNC.com

Nothing hidden. The motor turns freely and the threaded rod is still or may just turn slightly. I gave it a few solid taps and it did come away from the mount some. I pried on it with a screwdriver some but it still doesn't seem to want to let go. I inspected from the threaded rod side and taped into that space also.

It may just be stuck on good but I'm rather reluctant to put a lot of force. I have replacement motors but the other hardware I am looking to recycle.

oh the threaded shaft won't just slide. I thought of taking it off too but would have to unscrew it all the way out and still not sure how I'd get it off once it got to the end?

Threaded rod? on what? the shaft of the motor?. Most motors have shafts about 1 1/4 " long and if something is hanging on the end of that it is either put on with a coupler or has a female end with setscrews or (worst scenario) a pin. It wont just screw on because it would unscrew itself when the motor reversed. Inspect under the mount closely. It had to be assembled by placing the motor on the mount and fastening the rod or the rod would slide up through the hole the shaft goes through. If it (the hole) is big enough for the rod to pass through then it may be secured at the other end of the rod.

TOM Caudle
    www.CandCNC.com

I'm posting a picture to try and keep clear. This picture is the Y axes motor and I have not started to take it off but it offered a better picture angle and the setup or application is the same.

I may not be correct in all the terms either... But my machine has shafts used as a guide and a threaded rod(s) that is used to move the router on X, Y & Z axes. The motors are attached to and turn these rods moving the router.

Okay I got the motors off. I took all the set screws holding the shaft and rod off and once it was loos the motors fell off. I still didn't quite catch how the rods attached to the motors.....? I didn't see any coupler.... only thing I can guess right now is that it fits snug enough to turn the rods?

The Z axes motor was much smaller in size than the others and from the replacement motor so I will have some retro fitting to do and will need to model a new aluminum mount. Anyone know who can mill this piece for me?

Anyone have a picture or drawing of how the motors normally couple to the pieces they turn?