586,096 active members*
3,689 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Converting Chinese CNC router from DSP to Mach3

Hi , I have just ordered a Chinese CNC router. It is a Siwei SW 1318. It has a DSP controller on it . I have got them to remove it as I want to connect it to my original router PC and use Mach3. Does anyone know what I will have to do?
    I have heard I will need to fit a breakout board to it? has anyone done this ?
    How difficult is it . What will I need to purchase to do it . Am I better off getting it with the DSP controller ? would any parts from the controller be needed for the conversion?

I have an Excitech machine. Bought it with the DSP and converting to Mach3 setup. I've designed my own interface board, but there are plenty that do the job. My rig has a 24VDC supply for the general electrics, so keep that in mind... some interface boards may only want 12V input. You're estop switch may be mains voltage, so take care if you were considering connecting this to an interface board for Mach 3 input. Otherwise it's just re-wiring to your new board. The spindle is probably the only spot that might take you some time to work through if you have a VFD controller.

So do I need any of the parts of the DSP system ?As I have got them to take off the DSP . It is not too late to change though?

I'd certainly make sure that their version of "no DSP" means just the DSP controller and interface board are not provided. You should perhaps double check with them that you will have the stepper controllers, transformer(s) / power supply and rectifier/capacitor board, spindle controller and everything wired and labeled ready for you to put your own interface board in. One would hope they would do all the wiring anyway, so they can test the CNC prior to shipping.

Yes I will check that . They seem pretty well on the ball when it comes to everything being OK . What breakout board do you recommend?

Thanks for your help.

You're welcome ;-)

Not to sure about other breakout boards. I design my own so I can put the extras in and make sure it's robust. So haven't tried or looked at others.