586,094 active members*
3,895 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Any advice on mod to Rabbit 9060

Hi guys,

I have a Rabbit 9060 SE 60W running MPC 6515.

I would like to fit a relay to stop/start my air assist pump with the laser output.

Could anyone advise on where I could take the feed to relay coil from/to for this mod.

I already supply the air pump 240V from a rocker switch I installed on the control panel. I would leave this in series with the relay so I can manually override for jobs were air assist is not required.

Appreciate any advice.

Dave.

Hi Dave,

Your question surprised me since it's coming from the guy who I consider to be the sensei of laser mods

Would the check box in LaserCut (where you set the power and speed) that says "blow" be of any use? Could you assign a color to a layer that you didn't want air and uncheck the blow box? Maybe yours isn't set up like that though. Mine isn't, since the air pump is independent. Just curious.

After re-reading your post, maybe you are trying to set the laser up to utilize that option in LaserCut?

Cheers,
    Skip

Quote Originally Posted by SkipW View Post
    Hi Dave,

Your question surprised me since it's coming from the guy who I consider to be the sensei of laser mods

Would the check box in LaserCut (where you set the power and speed) that says "blow" be of any use? Could you assign a color to a layer that you didn't want air and uncheck the blow box? Maybe yours isn't set up like that though. Mine isn't, since the air pump is independent. Just curious.

After re-reading your post, maybe you are trying to set the laser up to utilize that option in LaserCut?

Cheers,
    Skip

Hi Skip,

The sensei eh!! I think i'll have to put that in my resume and give myself a payrise

Good point about the blow checkbox in Lasercut. To be honest it never crossed my mind and that would be the answer. Thanks for the nudge. If I could find out where that function outputs I could hopefully use it to trigger a relay for the air pump.

I'm being really lazy here because the switch to turn the air pump on is right next the the one to turn the extractor on. It would just be a 'nice to have' mod

So if anyone has any pointers as to where/how to identify the output for the blow function in Lasercut it would be appreciated.

Thanks

Dave.

Smile mod to 6090

Hi Dave long time no speak-Chris,
    They disable the blow function on the software due to the fire risk when cutting without air assist. I think they engrave better without air but when they cut!!
    Catch up soon what are you making ?
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by hpc laser u.k View Post
    Hi Dave long time no speak-Chris,
    They disable the blow function on the software due to the fire risk when cutting without air assist. I think they engrave better without air but when they cut!!
    Catch up soon what are you making ?
    Chris

Hi Chris,

Good to hear from you.
    It's really just me being lazy. As you know I have all the auxhillary equipment on switches on the control panel. It really is just a case of flicking a switch and then hit 'start'. I would be neat though if I could use an output from the board to pull a relay in as soon as you start the job. This would mean I could have blow 'on' all the time without having to actually switch it on. I can still use my panel mount switch to turn it off if I want to.

See what I mean about 'lazy'

Not got much on really, Just playing around on various projects in anticipation of 'THE' big order dropping on the doorstep.

Cheers

Dave.

Post 'Blow' in Lasercut

Quote Originally Posted by dvdlock View Post
    ... So if anyone has any pointers as to where/how to identify the output for the blow function in Lasercut it would be appreciated.
    According to MPC_manual.pdf the output for 'Blow' is on pin 1 of Y1. (Page 9) Also, there's a mention on -page 10- of Jumper3: "JP3: Note: JP3 is related with Y1. If output Y1 to drive a 24V relay, the jumper should be connected to Pin1 and Pin2. To drive a 5V relay, the jumper should be connected to Pin2 and Pin3. If the jumper is removed, Pin6 of Y1 not connected." That might be worth a look, always assuming your Lasercut is controlling an MPC6515 board? Bob (sorry about no LF/CR, something seems to be stopping me putting them in!)

Quote Originally Posted by kewlkiwi View Post
    According to MPC_manual.pdf the output for 'Blow' is on pin 1 of Y1. (Page 9) Also, there's a mention on -page 10- of Jumper3: "JP3: Note: JP3 is related with Y1. If output Y1 to drive a 24V relay, the jumper should be connected to Pin1 and Pin2. To drive a 5V relay, the jumper should be connected to Pin2 and Pin3. If the jumper is removed, Pin6 of Y1 not connected." That might be worth a look, always assuming your Lasercut is controlling an MPC6515 board? Bob (sorry about no LF/CR, something seems to be stopping me putting them in!)

That's very interesting, many thanks. I have just downloaded a copy of the manual from Leetro.
    I'll spend some time to understand your thoughts and see if I come up with a solution.

Thanks again

Dave.