586,036 active members*
3,612 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > TM-1 Error 162 Y Axis Drive Fault

TM-1 Error 162 Y Axis Drive Fault

My TM-1 is acting up. For a while now when I start up I've been zeroing the machine in single axis mode to keep from getting a "Y Axis Drive Fault" error message. Sometime I get one in sigle axis zeroing but I can clear the alarm and try again and it's been OK.

The Haas techs came out back when that first happened and it's not a loose screw on the Y axis as the value at which the machine zeros is always within the very small tolerance range. They thought the encoder on the motor might be crapping out and as those are expensive, advised waiting until it totally died.

So today suddenly while a program was running the machine stopped dead with the fault 162 Y Axis Drive fault. Bummer. I was able to clear the error and get the machine back and running but while jogging in the Z axis, I suddenly got the Y Axis Drive Fault!

I checked the Y axis spindle in emergency off and I can turn that easily by hand, so the motor isn't binding.

Anybody have any ideas or suggestions?

The Haas guys are going to come out when they are in Berlin next and they think it might be a fault on one of the boards maybe... I hope it's not the friggin' motor.

Thanks for any help in advance!
    www.wilkins-knives.com

Proximity Switch

Hi,

Have you checked your Y Axis Proximity Switch? It is on the left side of main casting under the table.

If a chip or some debris gets on the sensor it will alarm out. I had a similar alarm some time back and just gave it a couple of air blasts and no further problems so far. I probably should have removed the cover and cleaned it properly.

I believe this was discussed here or on another forum a while back.

Just something you might want to look at.

Hopefully, one of the more experienced guys will give you more information on how to check the sensor/switch.

John

I have checked it to make sure there are no chips down there, I hope the Haas techs will make sure the switch itself isnt shorting out somehow. Now that the machine actually stopped cutting in the middle of a program and gave that error message is more indicative of a short or bad board (I think) maybe even a bad wire. It's a question of which one... I hope any info I can gather will help make the Hass Techs visit a BRIEF one :-) if you know what I mean.
    www.wilkins-knives.com

Nobody has any ideas? Where's that Haas Apps guy?? :-)
    www.wilkins-knives.com

I am very sorry about your machine problem at least if you knew what it was it would not be so frusterating. I had this a few weeks ago and took of the way cover (y axis) and cleaned the switch with electric contact cleaner and checked the coupler from the motor to the ball screw other than the obvious I would not know. Good Luck Mike

Quote Originally Posted by KevinWilkins View Post
    Nobody has any ideas? Where's that Haas Apps guy?? :-)
    Kevin, You have failed to mention what year the machine is. This may help determine what components were used in the machine. What kind of drive? Have you swapped the "Y" axis amplifier to see if the problem followed? It could be one of the following:
    A) Faulty amplifier card,
    B) Faulty Servo Motor,
    C) Bad "Y" axis cable,
    D) Faulty Drive unit (Vector Drive).
    Just a good ol' boy, never meanin' no harm.
    Joe

Lemme check for sure, but the machine is 4 years old, so that should make a 2005...

Those A-D suggestions look good, I just hope it's not the motor cause Haas already said those are like €1200 just for the part. Please God, let it just be a CABLE! ;-)
    www.wilkins-knives.com

tm y axis

Hi Kevin
    I dont know if this will help but you can try, on my 2005 tm2 the haas repair man adjusted the y axis d gain parameter in from 4000 to 2000 this was done before i bought the machine so i dont know why but he was told to do this to all the machines he came across.

Thank you! That was unfortuately the first thing that I cecked to make sure there was nothing loose on that axis. I had a similar problem once on the Z axis and it was a loose nut that allowed the machine to move too far when zeroing. That one was an easy fix and required no parts. I wish this one was that simple, but you're right, that should be the 1st thing to check with such a problem.
    www.wilkins-knives.com

swap X and y amplifiers over. If the problem moves to Y axis you need a new drive amp.

That's great idea! I'll see that it's treis first off.
    www.wilkins-knives.com

Quote Originally Posted by pants View Post
    swap X and y amplifiers over. If the problem moves to Y axis you need a new drive amp.
    error moves to "X" axis is amplifier fault. You need change a new board. i think 99% fault in your amplirier, not motor, switch or cable.

I really appreciate the help here. I'm waiting for the Haas guys to make their next trip down to Berlin and then they are going to stop by. I've been out of town a few days, so the down time wasnt a problem yet.

I will post here exactly what the problem turns out to be.
    www.wilkins-knives.com

The Microcut Machines Haas service tech talked me through swapping the leads on the amplifier today and bingo the problem moved from the Y axis over to the x axis. So it looks like I have a bad card. Haas is sending one so I will be able to change it out myself tomorrow or Monday and avoid a service call totally. I will only have to pay for the part – which is the only part the machine has required in over 4 years of operation. I think that's really great service!

I really appreciate the help and advice here on this forum. Thanks to everyone.

I'll post again when I have the card installed.
    www.wilkins-knives.com

The local Haas guys got the new amplifier to me today, I installed it and the machine is back up and running. It took Haas less than 24 hours to help me confirm the problem on the phone and get the new part in my hands. I really appreciate their willingness to talk me through the diagnosis instead of insisting on an expensive house call. These days, every little bit helps!
    www.wilkins-knives.com