586,100 active members*
2,595 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Haas sl20 2005

Hi All.

Ive had this machine from new, only snag ive got with it is x dia varies slightly.
    Ive spoken to many haas engineers and they tell me its to do woth the thermol setting, they did change some settings in the 1st month of me having machine as x dia used to change upto .005
    I find now it changes .001 now and again and they tell me all the haas cnc lathes do this.
    Sounds silly but if i get something with a.0005 tol i have to put it on my mazak QSH10 cnc lathe as this machine is so stable.

Baring in mind my mazak is over 25 years old and kills the haas for accuracy.

This would put me off buying another haas as you can imagine i waste so much time checking parts to make sure it hasnt changed and the amount i have to throw out, just not good.
    My single spindle cam autos hold better tolerance than this SL20 and they are 50 years old + lol true though

Anybody else suffer from x dia changing??

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ashro View Post
    Hi All.

Ive had this machine from new, only snag ive got with it is x dia varies slightly.
    Ive spoken to many haas engineers and they tell me its to do woth the thermol setting, they did change some settings in the 1st month of me having machine as x dia used to change upto .005
    I find now it changes .001 now and again and they tell me all the haas cnc lathes do this.
    Sounds silly but if i get something with a.0005 tol i have to put it on my mazak QSH10 cnc lathe as this machine is so stable.

Baring in mind my mazak is over 25 years old and kills the haas for accuracy.

This would put me off buying another haas as you can imagine i waste so much time checking parts to make sure it hasnt changed and the amount i have to throw out, just not good.
    My single spindle cam autos hold better tolerance than this SL20 and they are 50 years old + lol true though

Anybody else suffer from x dia changing??

Thanks

When I had a machine shop, I would keep a 'warm-up' program in the controller. Every morning, I would load the program on my cnc mill and lathe and let them run for about 15 minutes before cutting my first part. Just a thought.

Cool

Typical, Our new SL-10 is .004 small EVERY morning. In X never in Z. Thermal comp is weird. I don't use it anymore. It only gave me .002 & I need .004. I use a warm up prog & then check the 1st part. put -.004 (every day) in the tool wear & all is good. Depending on ambient temp it takes about a hour or so to get back to where it was the day before. By then I'm changing inserts........I'm in FLA without A/C. We'll see what the "cooler" temperature brings. A real pain if the tolerances are tight. :=(

Talking X Variation

Well that is true about the 10. I obviously have a good setting because we have not changed it. I have noticed that when I run a lot of parts one right after the other I must check from time to time as required by our papaerwork QC requirements. I check critical dimensions. It will move some if it cools down so sometimes I guess I do back it off when it is close tolerance. I know when it is good you keep it warm by keeping it running without and downtime between parts. I have stuck to this principle on Mazak and Haas. I have been told these Haas don't need warmup period. I have seen such persons also running warm up programs on occasion. Its funny.

odd, on the SL20s i run i can puke out parts all day, opt stop, estop off, come back the next morning start it up, let it pop out a part and usually right where i left it the day before maybe a .0001 or so change.

x dia goes up and down through the day, some mornings i start the machine up and it can give the exactly the same reading as i left it the night before and other morning its can be different.
    if im threading it can run fine for hours then ill check another part and the nogo gauge will go in, i will then adjust wear offset and fine for few hours then may do it again.
    i go through the day adjusting all the time which isnt right, i would like to run the machine over night unmanned but have no trust in it.

it has been pretty reliable since i bought it new in 2005 but dont think i would buy another one.

my mazak and hitachi just feel so much better machines all round.

whats your thoughts on your haas?

Quote Originally Posted by ashro View Post
    .....whats your thoughts on your haas?
    I have two HL1s, two SL10s and two GT20s running production work.

When the tolerance is +/-0.001" they are fine just using a 10 to 20 warm up program in the morning.

We do some parts where we need +/- 0.0002" and then they need a bit of attention to tweak things as they warm up and after lunch break.

Overall though, I am happy with Haas; the initial cost is very bearable and in my experience they run for thousands of hours without significant maintenance.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

There is a parameter to turn on/off x axis thermal compensation which I would recommend turning off and seeing if that helps. I don't have the parameter number available at this time, sorry. Shop environments vary quite a bit for temperature so I would also recommend running a warm up cycle when the machine is cold.

Hope this does the trick and keep us posted on your results.

Thanks all.

I would be interested in the parameter which turns ot off.

Thanks again

Found the Parameter.

Parameter 266 X Switches Bit 3: TH SNSR COMP.

Set this parameter to zero to turn off thermal comp in X-Axis.

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by haastec View Post
    Found the Parameter.

Parameter 266 X Switches Bit 3: TH SNSR COMP.

Set this parameter to zero to turn off thermal comp in X-Axis.

Hope this helps.
    Thanks for your time.
    when i have tried it i will let you know.

Thanks again

I'm thinking that your problem may not be related to thermal comp. It could be, however you say that sizes go up and down all day?
    Turn off the thermal comp and see if it makes a difference.
    If it makes it better, then you will probably find that your x axis temperature sensor is faulty and that would be why your sizes are all over the place.
    If turning off the thermal comp makes no difference then you could find that the locknut on the bottom of the x axis balllscrew could be loose and allowing unwanted movement sometimes. To check this, remove lower x axis cover. look at lower support bearing end of ballscrew. you will see a locknut with a lock screw. move the axis slowley until you can access the lock screw. undo the lock screw. Now see if you can turn the lock nut. if you can't then it is tight enough - lock up the lock screw again and refit cover. If it is loose then tighten it up - be very careful not to overtighten though - and remember to retighten the locking screw.

Hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by Haas__man View Post
    I'm thinking that your problem may not be related to thermal comp. It could be, however you say that sizes go up and down all day?
    Turn off the thermal comp and see if it makes a difference.
    If it makes it better, then you will probably find that your x axis temperature sensor is faulty and that would be why your sizes are all over the place.
    If turning off the thermal comp makes no difference then you could find that the locknut on the bottom of the x axis balllscrew could be loose and allowing unwanted movement sometimes. To check this, remove lower x axis cover. look at lower support bearing end of ballscrew. you will see a locknut with a lock screw. move the axis slowley until you can access the lock screw. undo the lock screw. Now see if you can turn the lock nut. if you can't then it is tight enough - lock up the lock screw again and refit cover. If it is loose then tighten it up - be very careful not to overtighten though - and remember to retighten the locking screw.

Hope this helps

thanks for info

a couple of the haas engineers tell me this is quite common with haas lathes.

I purchased a new GT-10 a few months ago and have noticed that x does vary as it warms up. It does seem to stabilize after 10 or 15 minutes of use. A warm up program has been mentioned several times. There was none on the machine when I got it. Can someone suggest one, or might there be one buried in the bowels of the Haas web site?

Vern

Vern;

Write your own.

Start the spindle at 500 rpm and then have a subroutine call. In the subroutine run the X axis to its limit then back home at something like 0.005 IPR maybe three or four times then return to the main program and bump the speed up to 1000 before calling the subroutine again. Do this all the way up to top speed. This will warm up both the spindle and the X ballscrew; leave the Z at home to avoid having any tools hitting anything.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Me write G Code a really scary thought. I'll work on that today and post my results before taking any chances with it crashing the machine.

Vern

Quote Originally Posted by Vern Smith View Post
    Me write G Code a really scary thought. I'll work on that today and post my results before taking any chances with it crashing the machine.

Vern

Here's an old one I use on Mazaks and Haas lathes...

%
    O12345 (WARM UP PROGRAM)
    (16 SEPT 2005)
    G20
    G00 T101
    G97 S700 M03
    G50 S3000
    T202
    T303
    T404
    T505
    T606
    S1200
    T707
    T808
    T909
    T1010
    T1111
    T1212
    T101
    S1600
    T505
    T202
    T606
    T303
    T707
    S600
    T404
    T808
    T505
    T909
    T606
    T1010
    T101
    T1111
    T303
    T1212
    S2000
    T202
    T303
    T404
    T505
    T606
    T707
    S900
    T808
    T909
    T1010
    T1111
    T1212
    T101
    S500
    T505
    T202
    T606
    T303
    T707
    S1800
    T404
    T808
    T505
    T909
    T606
    S2200
    T1010
    T101
    T1111
    T303
    T1212
    M99
    %

Use control 'C' to copy the program and then use control 'V' to paste it in a floppy disk as a txt. Insert the floppy disk into your controller to upload.

Thanks for the code. I only have 8 tool positions so I'll have to do a little editing. It doesn't look like you are moving the x axis?

Vern

Quote Originally Posted by Vern Smith View Post
    Thanks for the code. I only have 8 tool positions so I'll have to do a little editing. It doesn't look like you are moving the x axis?

Vern

No, when I turn on the machine tool, I would home the both axis and load the warm up program. I've never had a need to move the turret as part of the warm up process.

Page 1 of 2 12