586,102 active members*
3,297 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Daewoo/Doosan > how good has your doosan lathe been?
Page 1 of 2 12

how good has your doosan lathe been?

As above??
    thanks

LOVE IT!!! GOT A PUMA 700LM WITH FANUC 18T CONTROL.

I haven't got any experience with other makes, but overall I've been happy with my Daewoo. It's an old '97 Puma 200 MSA (twin spindle, live tooling) purchased used. It appears to have held up well and continues to hold good tolerances. I haven't pushed it extremely hard (I've been working aluminum), but it seems well designed for my production needs.

One of the best features of this make is the customer service. I have had very good help from their techs with control system and machine related questions. I have had very good product support for my machine even though it is 12yrs old now.

This is my first production acquisition and I have been relieved how quickly we have been able to recover from light crashes. I don't think any machinist wants to brag about the crash worthiness of their equipment, but I am relieved to admit that my machine has not been difficult to re-zero after the odd turret bump. I haven't done anything terribly energetic yet, but I've found that the turret and spindle easy to adjust dead straight considering the stiffness the machine needs to exhibit. There appears to be some significant consideration as to the provision of slip points where things go out of line instead of delivering damaging loads to the ball screws or chassis. It's annoying to have to realign things, but I'd rather do that than crack my bed.

Overall, I've been happy with the steel (mechanics) and less happy with the control system (fanuc). Fanuc user manuals are a pain to work through and I think as I develop my communication skills in Fanuc 18T, my relations with my wife will erode as I become more of a fanucklehead.

What do you plan to do with your machine tool?

I have a Daewo 200A, the only problem I have is with the indexing which I repair myself. I run 24/7 for the past 12 years and love my Daewo. The best feature of the machine are the toruqe limiters on the x and z axis. I wish my other CNC machines had these on the drives too. Its not a matter of if you will crash the machine, its when you do, it will save you a lot of repair time and money. WE ALL CRASH.

I recommended a 300MC for my company to purchase in January of this year. I did extensive research, Okuma, Mori, Mazak, etc. The Doosan was much cheaper and had more standard functions that any of the others.

I have been the programmer and process design/developer for all of the parts that run on this lathe. I like it very much. Very accurate, we machine pump impellers on it, nothing but interrupted cuts. I holds up very well. It has a couple of annoying "features" like: You can switch from main spindle mode to C-axis mode with the door open, but you can't switch back unless the door is closed. You also can't index the turret without the door closed. These are my two main (picky) gripes.

Other than that, it appears to be a good machine. My next lathe purchase will most likely be another Doosan. That pretty much speaks for itself.

Have you tried the M250 maintenance mode to index your turret with the door open? Keep relay 51 bit 0 set to 1 will turn it on. Command M250 from MDI with the door closed, open the door and the turret will index. You can turn the spindle on as well in this manner, but the spindle speed will be capped. You can clear the M250 by pressing reset or commanding M251. I also failed to mention that an alarm will be present while in this mode.

thinking of purchasing a Doosan

I am currently thinking of purchasing a Doosan w/ live tooling, y axis, and maybe the subspindle. Probably one of the Puma line 240, 1500. Good machines? Ive ran Fadals, Mazaks, and currently have a 15 yearold KIA lathe that we use just for small qty quick pin work, but have never ran or known anyone that has ran a Doosan. Any comments?

Love my Daewoo, I plan to buy another one.

You might have a bit of trouble trying to buy a new Daewoo:rainfro:
    *~~Darwinian Man, though well-behaved, At best is only a monkey shaved!~~*
    *__________If you feel inclined to pay for the support you receive__________*
    *_______Please give to charity https://www.oxfam.org.au/get-involved/_______*

Daewoo 230

I have 4 Daewoo lathes.
    3 are great and have been very productive and reliable.
    My 7yo 230M with live tooling is great when it works, but has had more problems than any of my other machines. Hopefully later models (240M) are more reliable because mine is strong and accurate and fast.
    eg. Main spindle failed within a few months, rigid tapping never worked properly, the through coolant has weak pressure and has leaked into the live tool gearbox rusting out the guts of the turret twice. First time was warranty job, this time we have been waiting for parts for over 4 weeks, no shaft or gasket in stock anywhere in the world!? Non-standard bearings and seals take ages to get.

daewoo

Worked on a 400 size a few years back. Couldn't believe how close they copied the old Mori Seiki SL 35 series. Looked pretty good, some of the pumps looked a little sketchy though.

our company has three 2500sy a 2000sy two 240m a 230 a iv3000m and a doosan mecatec z290 and i would reccomend any but the old mecatec machines. we push these machines harder than any mazak cincinatti or mori that we have and with great success. the only complaint i have with doosan is thier automation group lacks quality designed applications. however i redesigned the fully automated iv3000m with doosans permission during the warranty period. completely rewrote the ladder, re wired and changed the servo configurations and when done a doosan engineer signed off on my work and allowed us to keep the warranty period. try that with okuma mazak or mori and see how far you get.

dd

Yes, but those companies actually have automation support from the factory. Once daewoo gets sued for an injury letting people do that, they will stop as well.

I have a Puma 240m about 4 years old.If you leave it sit for 10 min. the OD and ID will change . i am running a warm up prog. with coolent on but it dont work . First part in morning is .004 over size.

I have Doosan V850, it's been a pretty good machine.
    Just bought a used V550T.
    Called to get a part for it and the dealer says parts aren't available anymore for the Doosan Mechatec machines.
    It appears Doosan Infracore doesn't care about it's existing customer base.

The Doosan machines have been good. But what the company is doing now really isn't right.
    Doubt I'll buy another Doosan because of this.

What year is the V550T?

Doosan Mecatec is not Doosan Infracore

To the best of my knowledge, doosan mecatec and doosan infracore were two separate machine tool builders. They were integrated in 2007, Infracore taking on the poorly mismanaged mecatec line.

Doosan Infracore ceased production of the mecatec line, but sifted through the inventory of doosan mecatec machines and only kept a couple of them. I believe they kept 2 of the larger of the vertical lathes, and the v900 and v1100. They then brought these mecatec lathes over to the infracore side and redesigned them to infracore's specification. I don't think Infracore had any intentions of supporting the Mecatec machines, and that is how it appears to be, but I could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by zman300 View Post
    I have Doosan V850, it's been a pretty good machine.
    Just bought a used V550T.
    Called to get a part for it and the dealer says parts aren't available anymore for the Doosan Mechatec machines.
    It appears Doosan Infracore doesn't care about it's existing customer base.

The Doosan machines have been good. But what the company is doing now really isn't right.
    Doubt I'll buy another Doosan because of this.
    ??? how old is the machine.

I have had problems with things like Operators panels for the Mecatec brand machines but mostly I can get the parts I need.

You cannot tar Doosan with the same brush as it is a completely different company....... When should a company stop producing spares for machines ?
    There has to be a cut off date otherwise production and sales of newer machines would stagnate. and that is not good business sense.

BTW what part do you want ?

It's a 1999.
    I need the operators panel.
    MysticMonkey - What did you do for panels.

I know they won't make parts forever.
    I didn't think this machine was that old that I wouldn't be able to get parts.

I know they were two separate companies but it's now one company and it's Doosan.

What if Ford and Chevy merged and the new company decided not to make anymore parts for the Chevy's. I know not exactly the same but.

I better get back out in the shop.
    Thanks for the replies.

Quote Originally Posted by zman300 View Post
    It's a 1999.
    I need the operators panel.
    MysticMonkey - What did you do for panels.

I know they won't make parts forever.
    I didn't think this machine was that old that I wouldn't be able to get parts.

I know they were two separate companies but it's now one company and it's Doosan.

What if Ford and Chevy merged and the new company decided not to make anymore parts for the Chevy's. I know not exactly the same but.

I better get back out in the shop.
    Thanks for the replies.
    With operators panels The only thing I have been able to do is find some one that can make it for me.
    You can reduce costs by drawing the operators panel to scale
    Also if you need switches and led's you will need to do some research about the types used you will probably be able to get parts from newark.com

Try and find a graphics printer localy and supply them with the cad or acrobat drawing then all that is left is to get a plate punched and attach the transfer/sticker.

I think you will find the cost isn't much different either. (Just takes a bit more time).

Page 1 of 2 12