586,104 active members*
3,431 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Fadal > Override rapid feed rate in program?

Override rapid feed rate in program?

CNC 88HS control.

Is there a way in programming to slow down the rapid move to 50%?

I'm running a part that has one hole that is .200" diameter x 4.169" deep in SS. I have to overide the rapid feed rate for this hole, the drill doesn't like going in 100% rapid. Once that drill is done I have to ramp it back up to 100% rapid. I really don't want to babysit this part while it is running.

I'm using a G83 to drill the hole, should I be using one of the other drill cycles? I definitely need to clear the chips, so I have to come out of the hole.

Thanks,
    Don

The rapid travel feed rate is a fixed function and is hard coded. You can change the IPM parameter on page three of the SETP parameters but this will affect ALL rapids moves all the time. It can not be selected during a program. It must be changed in SETP.

Neal

if you have cam software you can feed out in inches per min (not useing g83 just regular g01. while its a pain and makes for a long program it works, the other way is to hand code it in using g01's

then the red neck way which I have used is get a piece of 1/4" rod have it almost touch the back side of the drill and attach it to your table some how,( my case was a vise and a mag base with the rod off the mag base) dont forget to put a moo on the end of the drill so you can take the mag base off and its wise to put one before the drill starts so you can put it on) it will acts as a wiper of sorts.

yeah it seems dumb and dangerous but you have to do what you have to do and time is money

Delw

Well I guess adding a P value to the G83 line is about the best option then. According to the manual this should stop the rapid the specified distance above the previous peck bottom point and begin feeding.

Thanks for the replies,
    Don

Neal,

I'm thinking out loud, could the wiring for this be routed to a set of relays controlled by M functions, or is it soldered to a board? (The job is done now, just wondering for future reference.) Seems like this would have been a nice feature.

Thanks,
    Don

A macro might be a lot less work than all that. Even a looping subroutine could do the job. Guess it depends on how often you run into this sort of trouble.

Don--
    The problem with the wiring idea is that there is a lot of integrated circuits and the possiblilty of back feeding a signal could become a system nightmare at times.
    The macro concept is a better approach..

Neal