586,035 active members*
3,797 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

View Poll Results: Do you warm up your Machine?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • Always

42 68.85%
  • Never

12 19.67%
  • Depends on the the weather...

7 11.48%
Page 1 of 3 123

Morning Warm-Ups?

I was ridiculed the other morning for warming up the spindle before I started running. I was told I was just wasting 10 min and that the machine didn't need it.

I am a firm believer in warm ups.

How about you?

:stickpoke

Running any machine with cold bearings in NOT a good idea. Running for a few minutes, like 10 or 15, allows the bearings to expand and take up the excess radial and axiel play in them.
    When you run the warm up program you are extending the life of your spindle bearings AND distributing the way lube oil around the machine while heating up the ways. This reduces the inital themal expansion affect dramatically.
    If you do not run a warm up, start now! (IMHO for what its worth)

Neal

Is there a warm up program in the mid 90's era controllers?

I have numerous machines and they all get warmed up every morning. On the 6000 rpm spindles it is maybe not necessary but for the 10000 rpm machines if you bang them up to full speed you are likely to get hot spindle bearings. If they have not been run for a week or so it is almost certain you will get very hot bearings, or worse, if you run them up to full speed immediately. The explanation I got for the reason warm up is needed is that the oil collects in the lower bearing and the warm up is needed to purge away excess oil; the heating comes from over-lubrication and the churning of the oil.

I also have a lathe with a grease lubricated spindle and if that is not run up to maxiomum speed in gradual steps it is very noisy. The warm up in this case re-distributes the grease that has settled to the bottom of a warm bearing.

If your machine has a maximum speed of less than 5000 rpm I think it is not really necessary to run a warm up for purging the bearings but certainly a warm up gets everything up closer to operating temperature so you are less likely to get sizes drifting due to temperature changes.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

I have always warmed up my spindles with around 15 minutes at 2000rpm. It may not mean much, but as Neal points out, any lube that has settled gets redistributed, a little bit of thermal expansion means less impact damage, and I've found on my Fadal that as the machine warms up I'll get a slight change in my Z cuts.

Warming up the machine is also a great excuse to have some coffee and organize the work area.

Quote Originally Posted by fizzissist View Post
    Warming up the machine is also a great excuse to have some coffee and organize the work area.
    Works for me. I'll be extending my warmup time from 5 to 15 minutes. :idea:

I'm writing a warm-up program today.
    Still working in the "D".

We have not warmed up our Fadals in 15 years and havent ever had any spindle issues. Granted we baby our machines a little.
    We have had good luck with our Fadals milling mostly soft steel and aluminum up to 5 axis. We are always looking for spare parts If you have a broken down Fadal give a shout.

Geof--
    I recommend to warm up ANY machine regradless of RPM capacity whether it is a lathe, VMC, Jig Bore, etc. IT does make a difference in protecting the components from thermal shock. Also distributing the oil help to ensure that the machine doe not run with out proper lube.

Neal

I look at it very simply. I'm not going to start my motorcycle and run it at 5000 RPM cold (yeah, a lot heavier moving parts but you get my drift). Why would I bang my spindle up to 6-7000 RPM when it's cold?

Especially in the winter. It's 57F - 60F in the shop when it's "warm" LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Neal View Post
    Geof--
    I recommend to warm up ANY machine regradless of RPM capacity whether it is a lathe, VMC, Jig Bore, etc......Neal
    I agree with you but if you look at the post immediately preceding yours not everyone thinks warm up is needed. I have learnt to waffle in my posts having had people jump on me for making dogmatic suggestions.

What I want though is a system where I can have a robot running around turning on the compressors and starting all the warm up cycles a half hour before my guys get in; we lose 15 to 20 minutes every morning on the warm up cycle.

Tool in the spindle during warm-up or not?
    Still working in the "D".

That's a great question. I don't but it seems to use more air, maybe it's my imagination.

Quote Originally Posted by Bwana Don View Post
    With high speed spindles if there is a tool in the spindle you need to make sure it is a balanced holder.

Not

Quote Originally Posted by Bwana Don View Post
    I have 3 hurco machines 2 mills 1 Lathe, the 2 mills will not let me warm them up with a tool in spindle. I would imagine it is more of a safety thing than anything else.

Question-- How does the machine know that you are warming up the machine and not running a part program??????????????

Neal

Quote Originally Posted by Neal View Post
    Question-- How does the machine know that you are warming up the machine and not running a part program??????????????

Neal
    My machines have warm up cycles built into the hard drive from the manufacturer. It also knows when there are tools in the spindle.

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarman1 View Post
    My machines have warm up cycles built into the hard drive from the manufacturer. It also knows when there are tools in the spindle.
    Are these high speed spindles? I can see the manufacturer doing this for the reason I mention above; an unbalanced holder being run up to full speed. With a 10k spindle you might get away with it but I think you could toast a 15k spindle within minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Geof View Post
    Are these high speed spindles? I can see the manufacturer doing this for the reason I mention above; an unbalanced holder being run up to full speed. With a 10k spindle you might get away with it but I think you could toast a 15k spindle within minutes.
    12k and 8k both warm up no tools.
    I always run balanced holders!

Yep, every morning I warm up the old machine.

Typically I'll start with some jumping jacks, with some squats, and follow up with some running in place. If I'm feeling extra cold, I might do some push-ups as well.

Some hot chocolate is really helpful too.

(hiding under the desk now)

How's that for a first post!

Page 1 of 3 123