587,006 active members*
3,162 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > HURCO > Purchase of Hurco BMC-20 - dead?

Purchase of Hurco BMC-20 - dead?

We just set up an old 1991 Hurco BMC-20. The history of it operation status is unknown. This morning we powered it up and cannot get the manual, power, start sequence to boot the servos. The screens are on and the configuration screen is present. Estop, motion stop respond but when we push system manual, the light does not turn on.

We are neophytes with this thing but have some experience with a few old machines on a superficial basis and basic electronic knowledge. Unfortunately we have no manuals or schematics.

We assume that the machine would power up before the transport because the spindle has been moved into a block of wood as one would do to transport such a machine.

The power is set up for 208 v but we are not sure if the three phase is connected to the correct position but assume that since everything is DC that this would not affect the servos from booting.

We have searched the internet and cannot find a source for manuals but have the Hurco telephone number. I remember an online source for manuals but can't find it.

What do we need to do first to check out this thing? Lots of fun trying to figure it out and so much appreciate the internet and this forum for the help I have recieved in the past. I only hope to get more knowledgable in the future to help someone else!

Thanks,
    Keith

Got the air on it yet?

It did not make a difference with the air connected. The buttons were not functioning and when we disassembled the control panel, we discovered that the pins on the backside of the buttons were broken off and thus non functional. Once those buttons are all repaired, I suspect we will have a very nice, working machine. It has Yaskawa motors and drives and a beautifully organized, clean electronics cabinet. I am excited that it has a disk drive and com ports for drip feeding - hopefully. It has quite a few hours on it but we just need it to drill non-precise holes. Looks like the prior owner gave it up on a bank repo, thinking that it was dead. We will see!

Thanks
    Keith

The machine works! We got the axes moving and spindle turning. However, we had to use the enter, 999, enter to make it happen. How do we calibrate the axes and do we need some other software in the disk drive? I am expecting to see xyz coordinates like a dro and spindle speed indications on screen.

Thanks
    Keith

Quote Originally Posted by thespindoc View Post
    The machine works! We got the axes moving and spindle turning. However, we had to use the enter, 999, enter to make it happen. How do we calibrate the axes and do we need some other software in the disk drive? I am expecting to see xyz coordinates like a dro and spindle speed indications on screen.

Thanks
    Keith
    Entering 999 shows your batteries on the memory board need to be replaced. There should be a softkey for calibration on the left text screen. Does the screen show anything?

The battery problem is one problem we suspected. There is no softkey for calibration. The screen shows axis travel limits etc. Do we need to get newer boards with external batteries and newer eproms? What about a manual leadscrew mapping input operation as we have lost them according to the screen and have no manuals or discs.

thanks
    Keith

The battery problem is one problem we suspected. There is no softkey for calibration. The screen shows axis travel limits etc. Do we need to get newer boards with external batteries and newer eproms? What about a manual leadscrew mapping input operation as we have lost them according to the screen and have no manuals or discs.

thanks
    Keith
    IS it showing the axis limits or the general machine config? If it's the general config, press the bottom of the center softkeys between the screens. If it's showing just the limits, press enter 999 enter. Since it is a bmc20, you probably lost the ball screw mapping and will at least have load the defaults. We will get to that once you get off the config screen.

Is it a Max II or a Max32 control?

Press the manual key. then press the key for machine diagnostics. Once you get into diagnostics press enter-642-enter. Press the key to load the default values. If you're lucky, the previous owner stored the ball screw values on one of the floppy disks and you can use the same technique to load the real values from the disk. I store those values on every floppy I use as a backup

You can find a bunch of keyboard stuff on ebay right now.

I think it is a Max II control.

I can not get past the screen that shows general limits like x axis travel of 22 inches and y and z travel of 14 inches. At the bottom of the screen it says that that action is blocked by the program entry protection switch and that the axes are not calibrated. I cannot exit the screen.

There are no discs available unfortunately.

Thanks

I think it is a Max II control.

I can not get past the screen that shows general limits like x axis travel of 22 inches and y and z travel of 14 inches. At the bottom of the screen it says that that action is blocked by the program entry protection switch and that the axes are not calibrated. I cannot exit the screen.

There are no discs available unfortunately.

Thanks
    Is the key in the side of the control? Unlock switch is on the right side of the control. You might have bypass it if you don't have the key.

There is a key but I am not sure which way is unlock. There are 2 pictures of a grid. One has a line under it an the other an x with arrow heads across the grid. I assume that one means unlock. It does not seem to matter which way the key is turned - I see no difference on the screen plus manual mode works the same.

Start from scratch.
    Power it up, wait until the screen has the config. page on it. Don't touch manual yet - it isn't time for that.
    If it just has the travel lengths and calibrate directions, press bottom softkey (exit) then type "enter" 999 "enter".
    The Input page should be displayed.
    Now press manual, power, start. Calibrate machine should be on the bottom softkey.

Still does not work - no calibration key...

Still does not work - no calibration key...
    can you take a picture of the screen and post it?

Is this Machine working now?
    All comments made are my opinion!