I'm in 4th year industrial design and decided to make a new type of CNC machine as my grad project. I've already built a CNC so know the basics, but for now I'm focusing on the research part first before I can start the build.

My main goals would be:
-make it truly portable, maybe the size of a small airplane luggage or even back pack??

-targeted for artists and designs; to bridge the gap between the client and the machine. The machine could directly make the art/design, not just create parts for it. (IE: bring the CNC to the surface/material instead of bringing the material to the CNC).

I need some research and opinions, this is where you guys come in. What do you wish a CNC can do, be improved upon, etc? Any opinions/wishes would be great, no matter how far fetched (for now). What tools besides a router would be cool/helpful? Did you ever wish a CNC was truly portable (you can go to the client's house instead of them coming to you, can engrave directly on the wall or other oversized surface)? Etc etc. Thanks in advanced!