586,103 active members*
3,146 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Help me figure out if this is possible.

Help me figure out if this is possible.

If I wanted to make a combo mill lathe outta what I already have (54 inch lathe bed and 30 inch lathe bed) or make a column for the mill head how could they be attached to make it sturdy enough for light milling?Kinda like the grizzly combo.

I wouldn't. I have a Grizzly G0516 mill/lathe, and the very first thing I did was separate the mill from the lathe. The combo was *very* "flexy", and had very limited travel. Also, changeover from mill to lathe and back was a real PITA. You're MUCH better off buying a decent X/Y table, and mounting the mill column to that.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Anything's possible...

Actually, it is possible to do what you are talking about, but the Joezx10 was right, imo... It will be a little flexible if you just drill a hole and bolt it directly to the bed.

However....

If you were to make a very sturdy bracing system and bolt the column+ bracing assembly to a baseplate- the same one you bolt your lathe bed to, it could work. My x2 mill has a REALLY heavy brace on the column (I was paranoid about flex movement when cutting- I'll post pics eventually) that is heavy enough that I can literally detach it from the base itself. If you did something like that and had everything lined up straight and square, I don;t see why it wouldn't work.

-F