586,096 active members*
3,702 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Calcomp 1041 plotter

I have the oportunity to buy a Calcomp 1041 for $75. First, assuming it works, would I be able to print T-shirts or bumper stickers? Assuming it doesn't work, would there be any good motor or controller assemblies on it? Does anybody know anything about these things? I have a few ideas for those two projects, that I thought of taking to auto swap meets, and shows, but would like to know if it s worth it. The only thing I was able to check out at all, is the slide assembly, and I don't find a lot of use out of that for other projects. Somebody, anybody...please!

Cheers,
    Jens
    Stop talking about it and do it already!!!!!

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

jens,
    I would first find out if you can still get pens/markers for it, if not then it is not worth it. The markers would have to be the permanent type. I don't know how you would get t-shirts to move back and forth on the roller without bunching up.
    If it is anything like the 1012 that I had scraped out, all I saved was one large power supply and two small Pittman servo motors. The motors were not even big enough for a cnc router table, I will probably use them in one of my model boats. Fifteen years ago I think I paid about $60 for the plotter and never used it, my intentions were good but never materialized.
    If it's not nailed down, it's mine.
    If I can pry it loose, it's not nailed down.

Thanks for the tip. I think I may scroung up the funds anyway, and flip it on ebay...like you said, if consumables are still available.
    Stop talking about it and do it already!!!!!

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

hobbiest,
    I was just going thru the McMaster-Carr on-line catalog and found that they have plotter pens for the 104X series plotters. I think they were $9.96 each and had black and a few other colors.
    If it's not nailed down, it's mine.
    If I can pry it loose, it's not nailed down.