587,482 active members*
3,128 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hybrid View

DIY CNC.... where do I start.

Sorry mods if this is in the incorrect forum.

Ok... I know what I want to do, but just don't know how to do it. And that is to build a 3 axis DIY CNC for acrylic. As I have no clue where to start, let alone even what questions to start, I would be grateful if someone could point me in the right direction.

I don't need (at least for starters lol) a big machine, but maybe 24"x24" table size?

Throw some Q's at me so I can start the R&D on this thing. About how much (yes I am sure it depends on some 'bells and whistles') would a table of this size cost?

Thanks to all that can help and looking forward to any replies.
    If you don't like it build it yourself

Start reading as much as you can here.

How thick is the acrylic you want to cut?
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Well i guess i have a few comments. I just finished my 3' x 5' table, and i bought some really nice components as far as motors and controllers. I was going to build a small table first, and although so far the biggest part i have machined out is only 6" x 4", i have plans to use the full 30" x 42" i have of travel right now. My comment would be to built it with a nice controller and motors, that way if you want to or when you upgrade to a larger machine, you can possibly reuse some stuff.

You could do belt drive, or threaded rods for your movement, i liked the threaded rods, and the anti-backlash nuts work wonders.

Andy

I'd do as Gerry suggests... but add that you should decide what material you'd like your machine to be constructed of. Then... do a Forum SEARCH with the TAGS that material might evoke. Example... Say you are leaning toward MDF with skate bearings for your linear components... CLICK on the SEARCH drop down menu in the header bar at the top of the page and enter... MDF, skate bearings in the text window and CLICK on TAG SEARCH just below the window.

This will provide a bit of focus that otherwise without could overwhelm you. Lurk and learn... there's a tremendous amount of talent and info here...!

Senna

Thanks everyone that has taken the time to reply. I am pretty much just diving into this so please bear with me on the noob Q's, though I am a fast learner. My replies will be in red
    Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    Start reading as much as you can here.
    I have started on this site, though I am at info overload and have been puffed out with info and will start to collect my thoughts.

How thick is the acrylic you want to cut?
    It could vary from 1/8" sheets to maybe 18"x10' funnel's, the soul purpose of the cnc is to DIY items for my aquarium equipment and friends.
    Quote Originally Posted by awerby View Post
    Are you making one specific product, or a range of things?
    Mostly items for me and my friends aquarium (salt water) equipment, though I can see this leading to other hobbies real quick.

How big will the largest piece be?
    It could vary from 1/8" sheets to maybe 18"x10' funnel's, the soul purpose of the cnc is the DIY items for my aquarium equipment and friends.

Are you doing 3d carving, or just cutting things out of sheet?
    Both

Do you have a well-equipped shop to build things in, or is this a "kitchen table" project?
    Pretty much "garage table" project

Will you have a place to put this thing, once it's built, or is this going to live in the livingroom?
    It will stay in my garage but being able to break it down would be a plus

How are you figuring on holding the material down while you're cutting it?
    Haven't gott'n that far yet to even know

Is speed of production important, or just getting it done eventually?
    Speed in not important to me as I am using this for personal items

Do you have enough money to buy a machine instead of building one?
    I don't want to say I'm not worried about the money, but the DIY is part of the fun for me, if this was to take off buying one would be considered. I also have thought about making one to get the 'feel' for what I want and making an upgrade, with the my first build

Have you ever tried cutting acrylic with a router, even by hand?
    Yes I have, but there are alot of items that would be to small to do so (pump mods blah blah blah.

Great questions Andrew, thanks

Andrew Werby
    www.computersculpture.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Trucks View Post
    Well i guess i have a few comments. I just finished my 3' x 5' table, and i bought some really nice components as far as motors and controllers. I was going to build a small table first, and although so far the biggest part i have machined out is only 6" x 4", i have plans to use the full 30" x 42" i have of travel right now. My comment would be to built it with a nice controller and motors, that way if you want to or when you upgrade to a larger machine, you can possibly reuse some stuff.

I totally hear ya, as my first cnc is to get the feel of what I want and don't want and taking the controller and motors to the next build. Buy the way, got any links for these items and I haven't started looking at those yet.

You could do belt drive, or threaded rods for your movement, i liked the threaded rods, and the anti-backlash nuts work wonders.

Threaded rods.... that does sound better, will consider that, thanks.

Andy
    Quote Originally Posted by Senna View Post
    I'd do as Gerry suggests... but add that you should decide what material you'd like your machine to be constructed of. Then... do a Forum SEARCH with the TAGS that material might evoke. Example... Say you are leaning toward MDF with skate bearings for your linear components... CLICK on the SEARCH drop down menu in the header bar at the top of the page and enter... MDF, skate bearings in the text window and CLICK on TAG SEARCH just below the window.

This will provide a bit of focus that otherwise without could overwhelm you. Lurk and learn... there's a tremendous amount of talent and info here...!

Thanks Senna I will remember that.

Senna
    Once again thanks all for posting, I know I have lots to learn. Any comments on this site: http://buildyourcnc.com/billmaterials.aspx interesting, but if it's junk I'll though it out.

Any one get one of those plans and have good results from them? And if so, which site/one?

Oh... though I could see this getting into other items such as wood, what would it take for lite aluminium, just a thought at least

Keep'm coming

Two years ago I don't think there were options others than build it yourself unless you had a large budget. Now there are two options that I would seriously give a hard look at.

First there is the kit offered by finelineautomation. $1300.00 and all you need to add are electronics, a router, and a mount. Here is a link to the online store and a link to the thread.
    http://www.finelineautomation.com/st...g=Complete+Kit
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73670

They have some videos floating around of it routing aluminum. It's has a 2x3 cutting area.

Next are the machines offered by modular cnc. They have a 12x11 one for only 350. http://modularcnc.flyingcart.com/ind...&pid=3&cat_id=

I'd probably go with the modular cnc machine to learn on and to help me build a second larger machine later on. But I'm cheap and have a family to support.

Building your own is enjoyable and challenging, I did it and am doing it again with the help of my current machine, but if they had these deals when I was building my 1st machine I wouldn't have done it. Why build when you could be useing? The ultimate goal is to use a cnc machine and not just build one. The average build is probably 3 months to a year. Some people spend a few years building theirs. Then once it's built you still have to contend with cad and cam, spindle speeds and cutters, and working all the kinks out of your machine.

That is my 2c on the matter.

No matter what though, you have a lot of reading to do

Is acrylic the only material you'd be cutting?

Are you making one specific product, or a range of things?

How big will the largest piece be?

Are you doing 3d carving, or just cutting things out of sheet?

Do you have a well-equipped shop to build things in, or is this a "kitchen table" project?

Will you have a place to put this thing, once it's built, or is this going to live in the livingroom?

How are you figuring on holding the material down while you're cutting it?

Is speed of production important, or just getting it done eventually?

Do you have enough money to buy a machine instead of building one?

Have you ever tried cutting acrylic with a router, even by hand?

Andrew Werby
    www.computersculpture.com

Quote Originally Posted by Plan>B View Post
    Sorry mods if this is in the incorrect forum.

Ok... I know what I want to do, but just don't know how to do it. And that is to build a 3 axis DIY CNC for acrylic. As I have no clue where to start, let alone even what questions to start, I would be grateful if someone could point me in the right direction.

I don't need (at least for starters lol) a big machine, but maybe 24"x24" table size?

Throw some Q's at me so I can start the R&D on this thing. About how much (yes I am sure it depends on some 'bells and whistles') would a table of this size cost?

Thanks to all that can help and looking forward to any replies.

Hey thanks to all that have taken the time to reply.

I am getting real close to know what I want to get, but I am not sure of the router to buy. What are some suggestions? If you can, provide Model numbers please. Just trying to compare at this time.

Thanks once again.

I suggest the Hitachi M12VC -- it's a reasonably priced, quiet, variable speed router that I use on my machine. I'd love to help you with your machine, so feel free to PM me if I can help you out.

Best regards,

Ahren
    www.cncrouterparts.com

You'll see a lot of people on the zone that use the Hitachi. Makita > Porter Cable > Hitachi > Bosch, that's how my research came out. And really you couldn't go wrong with any of those. The Hitachi generally is the best deal under 200. You can find them new between 100 to 125. I was lucky and got the Hitachi new from Amazon for 80 something when they were running a special.

Another good router it Trend T4. It's like a laminate router on steroids. All the online reviews are very positive. I came real close to ordering one for $75 but the day I was going to order I saw the Hitachi on Amazon. 1.1hp vs 2.25hp was a no brainer.

need help

i would like to build a small cnc machine but do not know where to start i dont have any idea what to use or what to purchase i would like to make some wooden profiles and also cut some acrylic the machine does not have to be very big just one meter sqaure where do i start is there any ideas for the consruction of a machine need all the help i can get.

just call me jeff in need