586,113 active members*
3,089 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Need help with JSM-40

I am completely new to laser engraving. I bought an Artsign JSM-40 to play with, but I'm having trouble figuring out the software. When I test fire the laser, it works, but when I attempt to send an image from Newlydraw the laser doesn't fire. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Also, information on how to focus the lens would be very helpful.
    Thanks all.

Newlydraw

Ozarkan,
    What are you trying to engrave. Did you make the file in Newlydraw or import the file ? Jim
    Rabbit Laser HX6090SC

Re: help

Hi, thanks for responding. So far I am only attempting to test the unit by engraving text on luan. I have tried both creating the image in Newlydraw and creating in CorelDraw then importing. I suspect I am making a setup error in Newlydraw, but the "manual" is just a 12 page primer which appears to have been translated directly from Chinese.

When the engrave window opens in Newlydraw it is always blank, no matter what image(s) I have selected for engraving.

I would appreciate any insights.

Newlydraw

So if you open Newlydraw and write text nothing happens ? I don't quite understand. If you create in newlydraw the page won't be blank. Jim
    Rabbit Laser HX6090SC

Sorry, I didn't make myself clear. When the image is created it appears on the page, but when I click the 'engrave' command a window opens which looks as if it should give me a preview of how the image is positioned relative to the engraving table, but that window is blank.

There are step buttons in that window. Clicking up or down step buttons affects the x coordinate position while the left or right affects the y coordinate. That seems backward to me.

setup

You need to setup the parameters of the machine in the software. If you want you can email your phone # and I can walk you through it, otherwise we will be back and forth quite a bit. [email protected]
    Rabbit Laser HX6090SC

Newlydraw manual

Here is a manual of Newlydraw. This is the only thing I have. You have to go though and just play with the machine to really find out about it. Also try this link. deferent company but similar machine.http://www.rabbitlaser.com/DemoVideo/
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Rabbit Laser HX6090SC

Thanks, Jim.

Ok - having the same issue. I'm creating images in Newly draw and importing dxf's. But I go to engrave and all that I can do is test runs on the boarder area. Hitting the Engrave button does nothing.

Did you manage to find a solution?

My Experience

Hello, this was my first laser engraver. I bought it from prancer1940 on ebay, and I thought I would hate lasers forever after buying it. Up was down, left was right, and the software was in Chinese....wow! You have to keep the speed at 7 or else it wont work. I was even told that by the manufacture. Anyway, I had the same problem when I first got. The page layout on the engrave screen needs to be adjusted. When you hit the engrave button, and the window pops up, adjust the settings until you see the image. You may then click the button that says show me, and it will outline where it will cut. Be careful though, if it is outside the area, you will get the stepper motors clicking badly, as there is no sensor to stop them. Why, I dont know. As for as the engraving of the machine, if you are just making some outlines, or burning text, then it works ok. Any intricate detail, forget about it. I was so excited when I bought this, and look forward to doing laser engravings. I had been doing it by hand for a couple of years now, and we had received so many orders, that I was getting overwhelmed. I thought I would go from cutting stencils and sandblasting, to pushing a button....WRONG. Not with this machine. I am 28, and was on the verge of a nervous breakdown or heart attack...lol. My fiance was very supportive and seen what I was going through. After several months of looking at lasers and meeting with reps, we decided on the Pinnacle M40 from signwarehouse. And, I can tell you from first hand experience, it is night and day compared to the Artcut. This laser can do anything, and can "print" from any software, Corel, Flexi, Photoshop...anything. If you can print to paper, you can laser engrave. I am still learning the machine and trying to do the 3D engraving features it offers. Even though the machine was considerably more, it was well worth the investment. Especially if you are doing this work for a living. After doing some samples of photographs on mirror, the front of the mirror mind you, and some aztec calendars in basswood, I have received about 10 times more orders last weekend than ever before. I was able to do all them within a day, as opposed to a week like normal. You truly do get what you pay for. If you plan on making money, then spend the money for a nice machine. If it is just a hobby, then the artcut might be a headache, be should fit your need. I have always said that if you plan on making money with a tool, then the cost of a tool should not be a factor. (to a certain point Invest in a good machine like Pinnacle, or Epliog, and trust me, you will not only see a difference in turnout and wow factor, you will notice a difference in how you feel...emotionally!! Good luck to you!!

With the help I received from this forum I was able to figure out the software, but other than test firing, the laser itself never worked. Neither the seller nor the manufacturer could figure out why it wouldn't fire except when the test button was pushed, so I returned the unit for a refund. Good luck.

Please
    Somebody can explain me why my machine JSM 40 doesn´t engrave well. In the right side is less deeper than left side. I don´t know what to do??? pleas e help me

The most likely cause is your beam alignment, when the head is on the right the laser is most likely not centered on the final optics housing so power is being lost. It is important to adjust the beam at the longest distance, so near the front and to the right. Then confirm at the middle and shortest distance just to ensure everything is correct.

It could also be due to the focal distance, if the material you are engraving isn't at the same height from side to side or the table isn't level.

Zax.