586,119 active members*
3,610 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

material for fixture

I am making a fixture that I wnat out of round stock for the base. I was thinking about stainless steel since I don't wnat it to rust and i'm going to be grinding it. I came across some prices that were to much. What is another good material for a fixture? Also i'm going to be putting this on a magnetic chuck so it must be ferrous metal

please help
    -garrett

1018, 12L14....Does it need to be hardened....look for steel that has a higher chromium level for lower "rust factor" or one with a higher lead content.....so many choices....gotta be a little more specific in your requirements...

I just bought stainless steel. What kind of tools will I need to machine this? I got hss drills will these work? Also I have hss with 5% carbide turning tools. Will these be good? Also for griding I have access to a surface grider is stainless magnetic?

Also for griding I have access to a surface grider is stainless magnetic?
    No. If you do still want to use the SS on the grinder, you'll need to box it with some reg. steels (iron base) to keep the SS from moving.

+1 to Viper. Need more info.

Quote Originally Posted by psychomill
    No. If you do still want to use the SS on the grinder, you'll need to box it with some reg. steels (iron base) to keep the SS from moving.

+1 to Viper. Need more info.

ohh **** really? god damn I thought all steel was magnetic ohh man... so all I have to do is box it in with some magnetic steel cause I have a bunch of low carbon steel. huh...

Do you know alloy of stainless you bought?

Do you know alloy of stainless you bought?
    Also, what are you trying to fixture? do? hold????

Some more info might get you some quicker/better help to get you going in the 'right' direction.

just a small kart clutch. I am starting with the base and drilling and reaming a hole got to get the hole square with the bottom of the base. I am going to grind the bottom and top of the base then press fit .0015" bigger to press fit the rod into the base. Then I have to see if the rod is square to the bottom of the base. I just wnat to measure if the discs on the clutch are out of round.

Well I forget what it's called austentitic or martenstic...or something like that...but the higher the nickle content the less magnetic the stainless....so, more corrosion resistant...less magnetic....less corrosion resistant-more magnetic......

thanks do any of you guys know how to get a good finish on stainless?