586,096 active members*
3,709 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Need Heidenhain help

Hello all,

I have my Interact 1 mk, 2 up and running, but need help programming. I have several "programming example" books, but they are of little use to me. Does anyone know of a source for the basics- i.e. what does each button do? How does one edit a program and then run it? I'm lost with nowhere to turn! I have plenty of CNC and g code programming experience, but this is my first Heidenhain.:drowning:

Thanks!

Kevin

re

Heidenhain.com

OMA [operating manuals archive]

Well I've made a little more progress. Still having problems with tool calls. After the Tool Call and Stop commands, the control refuses to continue with the program. The "spider," or asterisk flashes. I spoke with Heidenhain and an ex-B'port tech, and they suspect the control is hanging because it has not quite made position. Doing some basic linear moves, it stops at the programmed position. However that position oscillates .005mm or so. Is that bad? Servo drive issue?

Thanks for the help!

Kevin

Is your control a 2500, if so you can switch from heidenhain to iso g coding that may be a bit easier for you,regards greg.

In the MOD key you can display LAG which is how far it is out of position. I have had only one case in 19 years where the offset was set wrong on a VMC using Fanuc drives and a TNC control.
    The machine was in a flood.
    Does it do rapid moves ok?
    Does it stop at feedrate moves? Then maybe it is waiting for a spindle speed.

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

It rapids and feeds fine. Stops where its supposed to. In metric, within .005, and within .0002 in inch mode. The spindle speed is programmed. So what is it waiting for?

Kevin

Well I think I've discovered the problem. The machine is probably waiting for feedback from the spindle drive indicating that it is running. Get rid of the M3 or M4 and the program runs just fine. I replaced the DC motor and KTK drive with a Weg 3phase motor and Vector Drive. I made an interface board to allow the two to talk. With a few more lines of code on my board, I should be able to fix the problem.

Kevin

KTK Drive

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin77 View Post
    Well I think I've discovered the problem. The machine is probably waiting for feedback from the spindle drive indicating that it is running. Get rid of the M3 or M4 and the program runs just fine. I replaced the DC motor and KTK drive with a Weg 3phase motor and Vector Drive. I made an interface board to allow the two to talk. With a few more lines of code on my board, I should be able to fix the problem.

Kevin
    I have one of these machines, how expensive and complicated is it to that drive conversion?

The 5HP motor was about $200 and the drive was about $400. A lot less than the $1200 quoted to me by EMA in Cortland, NY to maybe fix the original KTK drive. Hopefully I can sell the DC motor and the 400v autotransformer that are no longer needed. As for getting the control to talk to the drive: Most drives use 10v logic. The heidenhain outputs 24v. A little electronic magic takes care of that, though. If you are interested, I could make up another copy of my interface board for a nominal fee.

The other big challenge was shoehorning the motor in. I made an adapter plate to mount it to the machine and mount the brake. The motor was a little too wide to fit inside the head casting, so I had to spend some time with the angle grinder making room.

Kevin

Thanks for the info, I have a very low hour machine and I am hoping for the best, but one of the boards did give me some minor problem already.
    Thanks again.