586,051 active members*
3,712 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > Bandsaw Blade recommendation needed

Bandsaw Blade recommendation needed

Hello,

Im having a heck of a time finding a place to get a 59 1/2" blade for my 9" Delta cheapo Bandsaw.

I ONLY cut 1/4" and 1/2" aluminum, and I only cut in straight lines.

The blade could be as wide as 3/8".

I read that I need to have three teeth on the material at all times. Does this apply to aluminum as well as anything? If so, does that mean I need to get a minimum of 12TPI? (remember Im cutting on 1/4")

Two things

1) Which blade should I get? Should I get Carbide?

2) Where can I get a 59-1/2" blade?

Thanks!
    Swami

Swami,
    If you have the saw that I'm thinking of, the blade runs in a triangle vs. an oval shape, this saw is meant to saw wood. Metal cutting band saws run at a much slower speed than there wood counterparts to reduce the amount of heat generated, heat is a blades worst enemy. Because metal is harder than wood, the tooth on the blade has to take smaller bites but to compensate the blade has more teeth. As for tooth count, I would not go below 24 teeth per inch for the size material that you are cutting. Let the blade do the cutting, don't force it.

I would not spend the money for a carbide blade unless you are a production shop. My choice would be a bi-metal blade. The high carbon or high speed steel blades wear out way too fast. Now the answer to the million dollar question, where to find one. Your blade size is not a standard size when it comes to bandsaws. Standard sizes are 93 1/2" and up. Your best bet is to have one made up to your specs. Right now the name of the store escapes me but it is a nationwide one, I will think of it. We have one here in town and I can picture it but still the name?

I will drive by it next week and post the name of it.
    If it's not nailed down, it's mine.
    If I can pry it loose, it's not nailed down.

You can get 50" here, you can probably take up that 1/2 " pretty easy

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INLMK32?PARTPG=INSRAR2

I would agree that bi-Metal would be the best bang for the buck, and get as wide as you machine can handle.

Thanks guys.

This blade does run in an oval, however, it does only have one speed, which I must assume is best for wood. 3000sfpm is what the manual says. You'd have to tell me if thats fast for metal. I can tell you that with the blade I have, it gets insanely hot. I often cut 1/2" aluminum for a length of 3". After this cut, the oil on the aluminum is smoking for 5 minutes. I quench the part I want under a sink, and the remnant sits there and smokes. As the drive wheels are coated in some sort of plastic, Im a little worried they will deform or catch fire, [KNOCK ON WOOD].

Ken, you answered another question for me. I did find that 59-1/4 inch blades weren't that hard to find. I could tell from prior installations that the wheels can be adjusted QUITE a bit. But I wasn't sure if I should use even a closely matched size. I guess the machine won't know the difference, lol.

So, why the 24tpi? That was around twice what I thought I would need. Does a higher tpi slow down the cutting? Or is it the other way around? Or is that not a determinant of cutting speed?

Thanks again!
    Swami

Swami,
    If it is getting that hot it is too fast, would you be able to put a larger driven pulley on it, or set up some sort of coolant provisions, this kind of heat would likely mean death to a bi-metal blade. For best cutting and blade life this speed has to be appropriate for cutting.

Not to disagree at all with 2much stuff (I like that name) yet I am thinking that the 24 pitch blade may clog up easy in aluminum and a 12 - 14 a better choice.

Why not call the people that make them like Greenfield Industries and get their best advice, who should know better ? right
    706)863-7708

I agree that a 12 - 14 TPI blade would be my first choice, but your saw is running 3X the SFPM it should be for aluminum cutting.
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

Swami,

I think I have the same bandsaw as you - anyway my Delta uses a 59-1/2" blade also.

I get my replacements at Loew's hardware . In addition to the Delta brand, they carried a brand, Vermont America, that makes an 18 TPI x 3/8". I find this higher TPI works better for aluminum & brass.

plm

what do you do about the heat?

I put in a message with Delta asking if they offer another pully, or if its any sort of standard pully.

Swami