586,082 active members*
3,808 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Maybe someone can help....new project?

My boss has a Data Technology http://www.alpinemachinery.com/photos/bg_tab-108.jpg
    machine in the shop he is looking to get rid of...I believe its a 66"x90". It is a cnc sample maker used in the corrugated industry. I was wondering how difficult it would be to turn this into a cnc plasma cutter? Also does anybody know how much something like this would be worth and how much money it would take to make this into a cnc plasma? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Can't tell from the pix: Does it have a full Z axis? If it does not you need to figure in either the cost of adding that or the cost of a stand-alone THC with lifter.

A lot depends on what you can keep and make work. If you are comfortable in electronics and CNC it might be a really cheap way to get a plasma table. It also might be a money pit.

The controller may need to be replaced; especially if it is not PC based because there won't be an easy way to integrate the added stuff you need into a closed controller. There might be "stuff" in there you can use but don't count on it.

Bottom line is you can build a 4X 4 plasma cutter table with full electronics including a THC for around $6,000 (less if you can weld and scrounge materials). You could spend half that (worst case) on just electronics you need to upgrade that table, so if you pay more than a couple of grand for the table you stand a chance of going upside down.

TOM Caudle
    www.CandCNC.com

Quote Originally Posted by Torchhead View Post
    Can't tell from the pix: Does it have a full Z axis? If it does not you need to figure in either the cost of adding that or the cost of a stand-alone THC with lifter.

A lot depends on what you can keep and make work. If you are comfortable in electronics and CNC it might be a really cheap way to get a plasma table. It also might be a money pit.

The controller may need to be replaced; especially if it is not PC based because there won't be an easy way to integrate the added stuff you need into a closed controller. There might be "stuff" in there you can use but don't count on it.

Bottom line is you can build a 4X 4 plasma cutter table with full electronics including a THC for around $6,000 (less if you can weld and scrounge materials). You could spend half that (worst case) on just electronics you need to upgrade that table, so if you pay more than a couple of grand for the table you stand a chance of going upside down.

TOM Caudle
    www.CandCNC.com
    Thanks for the reply...As far as the z axis it has 4 tools in the black head in the picture that are each mounted to their own air piston. Their are 2 razor cutters, a scorer and one has a ball point pen in it...This thing is used to score and cut holes in corrugated board. It has a computer and moniter that came with it but other than that I don't know much about it...I will be at the shop tomorrow and can take a little better look at it...is their anything in particular I should be looking for..? It was given to my boss and he nor I really know what its worth so I think I'm going to offer him $500 for it and see what he says. I might take the computer home this weekend to see what's on it..i'm really just looking for a cheap project to mess around with and I already have a plasma cutter.

Here are some videos I found of similar machines:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbSZV-kMrhg"]YouTube - Garment Sample Maker Machine with CNC- AOKE Company[/ame]

different model machine from same company...
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsNCtFmLn80"]YouTube - Cutting the SLG Display[/ame]

It's basically a really heavy duty vinyl cutter/plotter (:-). A lot will depend on what the drive electronics look like. For $500 you would have a pretty good deal. You will need to add a Z axis and torch holder/floating head. That means another motor, motor drive and cabeling. Maybe the motor drives will take standard step & dir TTL signals that negate having to replace the whole controller. The good news is you aren't looking at a huge investment if you have to replace all of the electronics. For less than 2000.00 you could replace everything (including the motors) and that includes a refurbed 2.8GHZ PC and MACH software. Your Z axis can be anything between 300 and 1200. If it's JUST for plasma then a lightweight Z like this:

http://www.k2cnc.com/shop/proddetail..._Plasma&cat=33

might be the most economical.

TOM Caudle
    www.CandCNC.com
    Totally Modular CNC Electronics