586,075 active members*
4,515 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Blowing air lines

Have any of your guys with newer ss machines had the airlines bust?

Ive had 2 of the big ones bust right at the end were it is crimped, Not going to bother haas with a service call even though its under warrenty, I am just using hose clamps.

My air pressure is not anywere close to high, the lines in question are the 1" dia ones, first one was the bottom next to the regulator about a month month and a half ago then this afternoon it was the 1" one that feeds the spindle.( what a pain to get that one undone Tight fit.

Just curious if I just got bad crimped ends or if this is common. 2-3 month old machine.

Thanks
    Delw

Ruptured air lines?

I have never encountered this on a couple of dozen Haas machines over almost ten years. My guess is badly crimped ends, maybe crimped too tight tending to cut the tube.

You think that airline was difficult to get at; wait until the coolant line fatigues through from all the flexing with the Z axis going up and down. That one was a mess and a pain to fix.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Yeah when I was in there I saw that coolant lined, flash backs came into my head about a dream I had when working on cars, Tie the engineer up that designed the thing and beat him to a bloody pulp ith it. LOL

they just sliding off of the crimp like there is no real crimp on them, the hose isnt marred at all,

Delw

Quote Originally Posted by Delw View Post
    ....they just sliding off of the crimp like there is no real crimp on them, the hose isnt marred at all,

Delw
    Oh, I thought you meant they actually burst. I have had that problem with crimped connections I have made myself; which is why I discovered you can go to the other extreme and crimp too tight.

Every haas mill in our shop has done this to date as of 2 days ago. The crimps on the air lines on 4 mills. The coolant line actually delaminated and ruptured.

Sam

Quote Originally Posted by samhyto View Post
    Every haas mill in our shop has done this to date as of 2 days ago. The crimps on the air lines on 4 mills. The coolant line actually delaminated and ruptured.

Sam
    I find it interesting how variable things can be. I have 25 Haas machines and not one of them has had issues with airlines, at least to date. One machine did have the coolant line rupture after about 4 years of use.

when I pulled it out there was really no crimp on this one, the other side over a month ago had a small dimple.