586,114 active members*
3,330 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > Roughing and Finishing in One Profile

Roughing and Finishing in One Profile

So here's my question. When you set up a profile tool path it asks if you want one cut, or mutiple cuts. then it also asks for a finish pass. well here's my problem. i want to cut a 1/4" piece of material with an 1/8" end mill. i want to leave .010" of finish material on the side. so i do a multiple cuts pass with it cutting .062/cut deep, total of 4 roughing cuts. well what i want is for the finish cut of .010 to be cut at full .25" depth. is there a way to do this without creating two seperate profiles. see if i do the multiple cuts for my rough then it wants to take 4 finish passes at .062 depth per cut. well that's not at all necessary for my finish, i just want 1 full depth finish pass. anyone had this problem or know a way around it? Thanks!
    -Nate

If you put .010 in side allowance on the parameters page in the edit section, then on the tools put a roughing and finishing tool number, it will do what your wanting to do.
    The roughing tool and finish tool can be the same number.

Tommy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ex.JPG  

re;

right, i know what you're saying with creating the finish cut. the problem i have is when doing it that way, instead of taking one finish pass at full depth it will take 4 finish passes at .062 depth, like the parameters show. well having 4 finish passes at .062 depth is crazy, i just want one finish pass at full depth. I understand what you're saying and yeah that's how you do it but like i said, when doing it like that it wants to take 4 finish passes instead of one.

Can you post a picture of your settings like I did, and then a picture of the tool paths after you compute tool path?
    Maybe you are trying to do it with 2 different operations and you are putting a roughing tool in both. You can do it this way too. Just put 0 for the tool size in the roughing tool.

I think I can help you more if you can post a few screen shots.

Tommy

Quote Originally Posted by nfrees114 View Post
    right, i know what you're saying with creating the finish cut. the problem i have is when doing it that way, instead of taking one finish pass at full depth it will take 4 finish passes at .062 depth, like the parameters show. well having 4 finish passes at .062 depth is crazy, i just want one finish pass at full depth. I understand what you're saying and yeah that's how you do it but like i said, when doing it like that it wants to take 4 finish passes instead of one.
    Here is a file and image of a Profile setup with 4 depths of roughing and a final finish pass at full depth.

Sorry, it`s in Metric, forgot to change to English but it will still work.

Hope it is of help to you.

Regards
    Rob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Profile test.JPG  
    Attached Files Attached Files

I opened your part and it looks like you are getting one cut for the Finish pass. The colors are the same as the Roughing cut, so it may be a bit confusing.

Do this:
    Click the plus sign next to the Profile Feature.
    Then click the plus sign next to Profile, you should see Rough and Finish below it.
    Right click on the Finish item and choose color.
    Select something other than green and click OK. You should see that there is one pass generated for the Finish Tool. If not, post the code and we can see what is happening.

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by The One View Post
    I opened your part and it looks like you are getting one cut for the Finish pass. The colors are the same as the Roughing cut, so it may be a bit confusing.

Do this:
    Click the plus sign next to the Profile Feature.
    Then click the plus sign next to Profile, you should see Rough and Finish below it.
    Right click on the Finish item and choose color.
    Select something other than green and click OK. You should see that there is one pass generated for the Finish Tool. If not, post the code and we can see what is happening.

Regards
    Sorry if I have confused, I put the file up for Nate (Original Poster) to try as I know it does work OK.

Regards
    Rob

They must be out of Hawaiian coffee. I'll have to send some off!

Quote Originally Posted by BurrMan View Post
    They must be out of Hawaiian coffee. I'll have to send some off!

Hi Burr

Could be they are smoking the same stuff as me???

:rainfro:Hey, but it`s nice having things "warm and fuzzy":rainfro:

Regards
    Rob

The "Hippie" Emoticon is a nice touch Rob!

Yep, a muticoloured Afro, appealed to me as a sort of combination of the Sixties and Seventies!

A mix of Psychedelia and Shaft!!

Kind of captures the spirit of the era I thought!!!

Ultra Coooooooooooooll

Regards
    Rob

Rob,
    You're a Bad Mutha FJohn Shaft!

please
    how can i make rough tool by using walter heletronic machine at p1 and which wheel can i use to make good rough as standard radus?
    please answer me ASAP.