586,075 active members*
4,086 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

new nesting software

i was at sheetcam site today and downloading the latest verison and noticed the new plugin for it..

check out http://www.sheetcam.com/plugins.shtml or thier site http://www.mynesting.com/

from what i read it will be 5 dollars per nest job and free to try and modify the nesting to your needs and they do fill inside the ring that would be a wasted material..

pretty nice software..

the free trial is till nov 1st 2009

No im not related to that company but wanted to tell you about this as apparently they have been out for a while and i just discovered about it today..

Cheers
    Dan

I have been talking to Glenn from mynesting and I asked him to come on this board to answer some questions people have about his software so he will be posting here soon with more info about the software..

I have been playing with it and it is very good software (I currently own bobcad and this has nothing to compare.. much better nesting result)

Hi CNCZone,

Dan contacted me a few days ago and suggested that it would be good to introduce myself on the boards and answer any questions that the cnczone community might have about our new automatic nesting tool, MyNesting.

The aim with MyNesting was to offer something that has the autonesting performance of the high-cost software but with a low cost pricing model that, we hope, will suit the demands of the small/medium jobshop or serious CNC enthusiast! I've put some further details about the software at the end of my post to avoid this reading too much like an advert.

We really hope this becomes a useful tool in the cnc toolbox as we'd like to keep developing it further. We would appreciate any feedback or suggestions and I'll do my best to answer any questions posted here on the boards.

Many Thanks,
    Glenn

PS. I have just realised that we don't yet have a video of MyNesting up on our website but I'll post one up there tomorrow.

Further details:

MyNesting is available as a free download from our website www.mynesting.com and runs on your own computer just like other nesting software. It works by automatically nesting up your dxf part drawings onto sheet sizes that you specify and then provides an option to export nests (also as dxf files) to be brought into your cam software for processing and tool pathing. It will always be free to download and use the software but we will eventually charge a small fee for each nest you choose to export - the cost will be around $5-$7 per nest job (e.g. a nest job could be 2 nested sheets or could be 50 ... but both would be the same price).

That said, it will be free to export nests from the software until November '09 (at least) as we want to give everyone a good chance to test it out. Once we do start charging for exporting nests, you'll still be able play around with the nesting as much as you want with zero cost (and no risk) because you only pay at the time you want to export your nest (of course, you'd only export if you were happy with the nest). There's no support fee and, whilst we hope you will want to keep on using the software, there's no obligations so you don't have to.

Tried out the software but didn't get any nests because it was taking too long. I was only trying to nest 2 simple parts on a 24"x48" sheet... How long should a nest like that take? I liked the layout of everything else.

I was also wondering if you have access to all the files that are sent through the software? Some of the parts I cut are confidential and that would be an issue. Thanks for your time!

thats strange mine took aprox 10 sec to 30 sec to make the first result and then min later for another result then i stopped (i had 4 results within 2 min)

i had aprox 400 parts in total that are nested in 5 sheet of 4x8 while i used other software before with exact same parts nested 8 sheets.. huge difference.. saving of over 600 dollars in material.. for 5 dollars fee for 600 dollars saving is worth it..

also if we are going to use it for plasma cutting i would check the part where you can mirror the parts since it wouldnt make a difference when cutting them with plasma i beleive (for my parts) it saved half sheet when i checked that option..

Cheers
    Dan

Hi tof1,

Thanks for posting. I am pleased that you like the general feel of the application but I'm surprised you didn't get any results within a few seconds ... let alone 10 minutes (especially seeing you only had two parts to nest)! The only reason I can think of is the computer hardware you're running it on. Autonesting is quite a cpu intensive process and the better the PC hardware the quicker you'll get results and additional utilization improvements. Try playing around with the angle and part spacing settings ... what happens if you set all parts without rotation (Angle of "0"), disable mirroring and increase the part spacing to, say, 0.1in. Any better?

If the parts are not confidential, would you mind sending them to me ([email protected]) so I can examine what might be happening?

Since the initial launch we've been working on a new version containing nesting that's about 10 times quicker. Should be available later this week (software will autoupdate so there's nothing to reinstall). I am just preparing a video for our website to demo the software (this will show you what nesting speeds you should be seeing).
    Quote Originally Posted by tof1 View Post
    I was also wondering if you have access to all the files that are sent through the software?
    That's a good thing to clarify. It was because of concerns like these that we decided to deliver MyNesting as a download to run on your own PC rather than being fully inside the browser (where you would have to upload and potentially lose control of your files).

We never get any of your part files unless you choose to send them to us when providing feedback (there's a checkbox to enable you to attach your job files on the feedback panel). If you do attach job data using the feedback panel, we will only use it for fixing problems and to improve the software further. We won't share data with anyone else. Also, any data that does get sent between the software and our servers are encrypted for safety (i.e. logins, passwords, feedback). Hope that offers some reassurance to you.

Glenn

Hi Glenn,

I'm sorry it was my fault. In the quantity box I left it at one thinking it was asking if it was just one part. I thought it would just fill the whole sheet with as many parts as would fit. I changed the quantity to 20 and had results in a couple seconds. Great program, I'm going to mess around with it some more... Is there a way to nest the material horizontally instead of vertically?

Thank you

tof1

i havent tried it but maybe when you put sheets swap around the width and height then it would nest the parts the way you want..

I'd suggest the same for now - switch your width and length dimensions for the sheet and then rotate the nest by 90 degrees after exporting (if required for the cutting table). Worth pointing out that this will only work if material grain is not a concern (parts nested in the 0,180 degree angles become 90, 270 after rotating the nest back around).

I like the idea of setting the nesting direction and have noted it down for adding later on.

Glenn

Demo video on site

We've finally added a demo video of our automatic nesting software to the website (as promised earlier in this thread). Check it out at: www.mynesting.com (video halfway down the page).

Also, we're soon to release an update featuring a few suggestions that CNCZone users made to us. As demonstrated in the video, the new version will include some major nesting improvements (should be about 10x faster) - I'll let you know when it's out.

Glenn

PS. For anyone joining the thread late, a quick reminder that the software is free at the moment.

Hi All,

The new version is available now. Many thanks for everyone who gave suggestions on the boards and privately (you know who you are! ).

Would be interested to hear how you get on with this update and please do send through any other suggestions for improving it further.

Glenn

A quick note for those following this thread ...

We've had a good beta test over the last few months and have received some really positive feedback from you! Thank you for all your help and continued support.

I can now say that the automatic nesting software will be going live on 31st January 2010. You can still try it out completely free but we will start charging a small fee for exporting from the software after the 31st.

See the website for more details: www.mynesting.com

Thanks,
    Glenn

does the nesting software have a chain cut feature?
    If it works.....Don't fix it!

Quote Originally Posted by millman52 View Post
    does the nesting software have a chain cut feature?
    MyNesting automatically nests up your parts and then provides the option to export the results to a dxf file. It doesn't get involved in toolpath processing or gcode generation itself so I guess it would be up to your cam or controller software to support that.

The best advice would be to try it out and see if it is suitable for your use.

Glenn