586,701 active members*
2,718 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Fadal > Sharing my LCD install to 93 VMC15

Sharing my LCD install to 93 VMC15

I wanted to share my LCD install on my 93 VMC15. Sure made it more pleasant to look at. The font is larger, the blue background is calming. I just hated that black on green screen.

I had to source a 1420-5A video card, PCB-0214 adapter card, 15 foot video cable 10 pin to 10 pin, LCD monitor 12.1 inch.

Salvaged the 110V to 12V DC converter on the old CRT chassis to run the MobileVu.

Removing the old CRT chassis was simple. Then I removed the CRT bezel that attached with 4 simple wood screws, that actually screwed into wood that was glued into my bezel.

I only had to slot those 4 screw holes enough to put the existing screws that held the MobileVu halfs together right back in place to hold and secure the LCD display. Pic attached.

I love the size of the new font.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lcdnew.jpg  

Great job, looks like the factory did it.

Great looking conversion.

glad to see you finally got it up and running.
    Need help with your Fadal? Send me a message or visit www.TheFadalParts.com. We have over 25 years of experience at Fadal and offer FREE TECHNICAL SUPPORT OVER THE PHONE!

Very nice. The green screen makes the machines look much older than they actually are. Were all of the parts hard to come by?

Only hard to come by for what I would consider a reasonable cost.

Neal was great in his support of the identification of the parts needed, and the wiring schematic I needed.

I got the LCD from ebay for $25. The video card in the cabinet ( 1420-5A ), and then a card in the pendant ( 1920-1 ), and the cable from the rear cabinet to the front pendant. These 3 items I have $600 in total.

I tried to connect the mono card BNC / composite output to the MobileVu since it had a built in BNC input. The screen was really bad. So, I decided I wanted to get rid of the mono card completely. I had read the MP32 was out in the 93 timeframe, so it was my guess that the cards would work with the 1400-4 CPU setup. Neal confirmed that these were compatible.

K. Koshy is the one that indicated I needed an additional board in the pendant to make it all work.

Turns out if you have a 1994 and newer Fadal, the chances of the cable for the cards is already in your machines. Mine being a 1993, the cable was not there. My friend down the street with a 3016 sure enough had the cable just laying in his machine doing nothing.

I remember there was a post couple months back about changing the font size so someone with not so good eye sight could read the monitor better. This is by far the way to go. I can read this so much better.

What a nice looking piece of work that is. Great job man, really nice.

Can you see all the characters on your screen? It looks like there are things cut off on the right -- My machine would show a vertical line on the right side of the box in the middle.

Sorry to tell you but if you will digg in this forum
    you will find that we write about it not long ago
    and the price was around 350$
    no cable and very easy job

Quote Originally Posted by David Ferguson View Post
    Can you see all the characters on your screen? It looks like there are things cut off on the right -- My machine would show a vertical line on the right side of the box in the middle.
    Dango, this LCD install is not targeted to be anything like the EarthLCD install that was used months ago by someone else. I tried a BNC input to video converter and I did not like the scan freq drift. I can see the lines.

David, my display is 100% spot on with characters and line drawing outputs.

The MDI screen is awesome with this color VGA card. You get nice yellow info at the top with the rest of it in a nice white. Pic attached.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0718.jpg