586,655 active members*
2,959 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

emco compact 5

I picked one of these up recently and i was curious if anyone had any input about this machine. also what software would you use to dnc over to it?

thanks

Hi there,

Seeing that you're talking about software, I'm assuming it's the CNC version. I have the manual version and although there aren't too many similarities, I can tell you that it's a great little machine and has been very good. The quality is excellent!

Regards
    Warren

There is a Yahoo group for Emco5 users. You should join it.
    Send me an email, I have programs that may be of use to you.
    The mechanics is superb (for that size)! The controller is outdated, but start out with
    that. Modernizing the controller is possible. Myself I will wait a while to see
    if EMC2 gets the lacking support for lathes. TurboCNC may be an option too.
    If the controller is the last version it is slow but capable to do most hobby work.

update on this little thing. i got it up and running. everything seems to be working ok on it. i got it connected to a pc and am using nclinkfree to transfer the files over to it. the only real problem i am having so far is that the format of the file being sent over is very unique. I'm working on a spreadsheet to format the gcode correctly into a file to send it over.

esjaavik: i'm curious what software do you have? is it the stuff that came with it that you can dl from the emco yahoo group or is it something else?

as for it's capabilities so far i'm happy with it and hopefully it will be a good machine for a long time to come.

Re: emco compact 5

When i was still running it with the original control, i used Mike's Free Interface.. a program that allows you to program, and transfer the files to the machine.. worked like a dream.. i say worked.. why?.. the CNC controller broke down, and i'm now retrofitting it to EdingCNC
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/vertic...ml#post1627250