586,111 active members*
3,146 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Mach 2 slow on Intel Centrino P1.6 Notebook

Hi Guys,

I just started w CNC software and I set myself on the Mach 2. Things seems good on a P4, 2.4GHZ notebook system but when I got a new P1.6/512MB Toshiba notebook on XP home edition yesterday, I could not get the Mach 2 to work properly.

Did the OCX test and everything seems fine. After I launched Mach 2, every thing comes to a crawl. I will need to reboot and there is no way I can get the Mach 2 to run smoothly.

I had checked there is no "qtask.exe" running in background. I did msconfig but also did not find the qtask program which a few ppl mentioned.

Appreciate if someone out there can give some pointer to it.

Thanks

Mike

Some systems just won't run Mach2 well. Try updating your video drivers. Go to msconfig and delete everything from the startup tab and try it.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Personally, I have aways found Centrinos and Celerons to be a bit on the slow slide of computing.

Well, Centrino is not a proccessor - they are actually a Pentium-M (Mobile) chip. The Pentium-M cpus do have performance similar to a Celeron, though generally a little bit better.

Thank u for the input, I got a reply fr ART as below:-

"Try killing all the startup processes in the msconfig. I suspect
    >one of them is the culprit.."

I followed this and now everything is running well

Thanks

Mike

see if you have qttask running, I stoped that and not mach2 opens and closes normal. (nvm) you already checked it

In your bios you will have a setting that enables/disables the varispeed thing on your cpu. If you dissable it, it will force the cpu to run at 1.6 all the time. I found this solved the problem with mine.

My centrino laptop just comees to a crawl aswell. qttask is a quicktime program, I dont even have quicktime on here.

My other 2 computers I use for mach2 are celerons, 700mhz and 950mhz.

Centrinos are rather higher performance for the clock speed. they cannot ever be classified anywhere near a celeron.

Jon