586,609 active members*
3,529 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

How do I edit EMC2 Question

I just got my cnc machine done and moving in Mach3. I am brand new to EMC2 and ran the stepconfig wizard. All three stepers moved in the test setup OK. When I tried the EMC2 program I kept getting a warning the Z was out of limits and I was not able to home. I think I set the home/limit switch to "maximum/home" Should I have set this to "minimum/home"? If so what, where and how do I edit this problem. I can Jog X and Y but not Z. Z just bumps a few thousands at a time when I try to jog. Touching the Z home switch is no help. Thanks for any help! Carl

After hours of searching and hours of reading and thinking about it all night I have all problems solved.

Great, what was it? Did you have your travels configured incorrectly?

I'd have tried to help if I'd seen your post. I just started using EMC at the beginning of this year, but I'm really enjoying it now.

Quote Originally Posted by vlmarshall View Post
    Great, what was it? Did you have your travels configured incorrectly?

I'd have tried to help if I'd seen your post. I just started using EMC at the beginning of this year, but I'm really enjoying it now.
    I did not know how to set Homing rapids to go in the correct direction or how to get the stepper config back so I could fix anything. Still have a problem with limits. I am using homing switches as limits but I can't find how to config my other limits. I have Z Y X conected together but find no option for that.

The people that monitor the EMC IRC channels are the best place to ask EMC questions. You can get there via their website.
    Phil, Still too many interests, too many projects, and not enough time!!!!!!!!
    Vist my websites - http://pminmo.com & http://millpcbs.com

Quote Originally Posted by cwebs View Post
    I did not know how to set Homing rapids to go in the correct direction or how to get the stepper config back so I could fix anything. Still have a problem with limits. I am using homing switches as limits but I can't find how to config my other limits. I have Z Y X conected together but find no option for that.
    I think you will be much happier if each axis is on a separate pin. I did the three together originally on my first machine. If I hit a switch it would report a joint error on all three axes (axii??). Much more frustrating to figure out where the error is when two or more axes (axii??) are close to the switches.

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by cwebs View Post
    I hate to tell you to read the manual but that is how I got mine working. The critical information is in the integrators manual under configuration:ini file:homing. You need to read that information to understand how the variables that control homing work. EMC2 offers a lot of control over how homing works that Mach doesn't. More control means more complexity.

I use combined home and limit switches, one switch at each end of travel.

Here is what I did in my ".hal" file.
    # create a signal for the limit switches
    net both-home-x <= parport.0.pin-11-in
    net both-home-y <= parport.0.pin-12-in
    net both-home-z <= parport.0.pin-13-in
    net both-home-x => axis.0.neg-lim-sw-in axis.0.pos-lim-sw-in axis.0.home-sw-in
    net both-home-y => axis.1.neg-lim-sw-in axis.1.pos-lim-sw-in axis.1.home-sw-in
    net both-home-z => axis.2.neg-lim-sw-in axis.2.pos-lim-sw-in axis.2.home-sw-in

And here are the settings for the X-axis in my ".ini" file.
    HOME_OFFSET = -0.1
    HOME_SEARCH_VEL = -1.500
    HOME_LATCH_VEL = 0.250
    HOME_USE_INDEX = NO
    HOME_IGNORE_LIMITS = YES
    HOME_SEQUENCE = 1

This says that my home switch is -0.1" from X0, that I search for home in a negative direction at 90ipm, that once I hit home I back off and search again at 15ipm, that I don't use an index in addition to the switch, that I ignore limits when searching for home and finally that the X axis is the second axis to home. I have Z set to HOME_SEQUENCE = 0 and Y is also set to HOME_SEQUENCE = 1. So it homes Z first and then X and Y simultaneously. If I was sharing a switch loop between multiple axii, then I could not home two axii simultaneously. So if yours is homing in the wrong direction you would change the sign on the HOME_SEARCH_VEL (and probably the HOME_LATCH_VEL as well).

Alan

You don't have to tell me to read the manual. I call it RTFM! I am reading EVERYTHING I can find and printing most of it out. At this time I have pins 10 11 12 for home limits and 15 for probe. I had set the X Y Z far limits to 13. Those three are connected in serial. and that was the problem setting them in Stepconfig. Soft limits are working OK so it is not that big a deal right now.
    I am still learning to edit the .ini files but going at it slow so not to loose what I have. I will say that EMC rocks over Mock3 now that I am up and running. Thanks Carl