586,105 active members*
3,281 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Oil Skimmer

Question Oil Skimmer

Any of you guys added an oil skimmer to your coolant tank?
    I have my eye on an Abanaki EconoMini that's looks to be about right for the job. Maybe I'm overlubing, but I'm not going to worry about wearing my ways out prematurely. I do the lube procedure just as Tormach recommends. I called Tormach requesting a skimmer as an option also.
    Any thoughts or recommendations?
    RAD. Yes those are my initials. Idea, design, build, use. It never ends.
    PCNC1100 Series II, w/S3 upgrade, PDB, ATC & 4th's, PCNC1100 Series II, 4th

I've got a belt skimmer on one machine and a disk skimmer on another. The belt costs more, takes up less room. Both work well. I put the skimmer and a fish tank bubbler on a timer and run it 15 minutes a day. Keep it oil slick free and oxygenated to stop bacteria.

I have the same setup as Karl. A Belt Skimmer and Aerator, both on a Timer. Seems to keep the Coolant nice and fresh.

Willy

I have also added some cooper wool in the path of the coolant before it gets back into the sump. Cooper kills any bacteria that the bubbler can not kill. It works really well even if your oil has started to smell. I just run it through the cooper wool overnight and the next morning ,no more smell.

Sorry for the bad grammer on my last post. I wanted to spell copper as in the metal not cooper as in a barrel maker. I really use bronze, which is 80% copper. Copper wool is very expensive and the bronze works just as well for my purpose.

I have been thinking of using colloidal silver in my coolant to prevent bacterial growth. I have pure silver wire that could easily be dispersed by electrolysis into coolant solution using a small DC power supply (9V battery). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colloidal_silver

Don

Silver is the best for killing bacteria, but for the vast majority way to expensive. I would be interested in knowing how that works out. Side note, has anyone tried milling dry? Fluids can get to be a full time job if you're running a few machines. I only have three right now, so it's managable.

Quote Originally Posted by vanm View Post
    Silver is the best for killing bacteria, but for the vast majority way to expensive. I would be interested in knowing how that works out. Side note, has anyone tried milling dry? Fluids can get to be a full time job if you're running a few machines. I only have three right now, so it's managable.
    The amount of Silver needed is so small as to not be a real expense for the vast majority. Unless of course you happen to be Jim Hawkins, then it is a Long shot.

Yes I have tried milling dry using a Vortec 610 air gun. see: https://secure.vortec.com/store_prod...ID=6&prodID=44
    Air does not work nearly as well as water based flood coolant. In addition you need 15 SCFM @100psi to run the Vortec 610. I use the Vortec on my manual lathe and for milling on my manual Rockwell because flood coolant is messy on manual machines and mist coolant is a health hazzard.

What coolants are you guys with the odor problems using? I've been using Hangsterfer S500 for a couple of years now with no odors. Even the bucket from my last coolant changeout has no odor even though it's been sitting for several months now with a layer of Vactra on top.

Mike

Blasocut 2000, water based

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelHenry View Post
    What coolants are you guys with the odor problems using? I've been using Hangsterfer S500 for a couple of years now with no odors. Even the bucket from my last coolant changeout has no odor even though it's been sitting for several months now with a layer of Vactra on top.

Mike
    i am running the same thing and it has been in my machine since i first got it. i get no odor what so ever from it. i also have no rust on my machine and the paint is not peeling off like i hear lots of people complaining about with other coolants. my machine is in a non-climate controlled and uninsulated metal building so the no rust thing makes me believe the coolant is doing a good job of keeping rust away.

coolant

I use a cutting oil/fluid/coolant from NAPA yes I said NAPA. It's a cutting and grinding fluid that I mix 20:1. I see no rust signs and the only reason I changed it after 6 mo. was the oil contamination issue(will be buying a skimmer soon).

Re: Oil Skimmer

This is bringing a post back from the dead. I bought a Skimpy Oil Skimmer, belt type and it really seems to be doing a good job and they are very reasonably priced.

I am using the NJT C-Thru separator on my turning center and think it is great. I leave the pump running 24/7 and after several months with Blaser Vasco 7000, the coolant still looks and smells new. It is amazing to watch how good it works. I switched from a Blaser brand oil (not sure which one, previous owner used it) without sterilizing the machine. Within about half hour of running the separator with my coolant pump on to wash down the machine, the separator removed almost two 16oz water bottles full of cutting oil. The machine looks brand new inside now and there is no more oil inside.

I think the this separator would be a perfect match for the Tormach. When I finally get my shop re setup, I am seriously thinking about making a much larger external reservoir for the Tormach and using Vasco 7000 and the C-Thru separator.

Quote Originally Posted by R.DesJardin View Post
    This is bringing a post back from the dead. I bought a Skimpy Oil Skimmer, belt type and it really seems to be doing a good job and they are very reasonably priced.
    Nice skimmer Rory. And priced right too. I just ordered the 9 inch one.
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Seebold View Post
    Nice skimmer Rory. And priced right too. I just ordered the 9 inch one.
    +1 Nice, simple
    Need to add this technology.!

Re: coolant

Would you have that part number for the NAPA coolant .

I don't use it now, so no part number. They just had it on the shelf in a gallon jug when I first found it.

axmem Guest

I have found belt skimmer that is fraction of a price on main stream market check this out.

oil skimmer, tramp oil skimmer, cnc skimmer

Attachment 265452

I have been using the tormach recommended coolant for about a year now (i would love to find it locally), i think the current tank is over 6 months old and the machine is not run every day. I just have a floating pillow to absorb the oil and i top it off with water/coolant mix when it gets low. I've had no odor, bacteria, or rust issues. I keep thinking i want to try a different coolant but i guess if it's not broken i don't need to fix it lol