586,677 active members*
3,136 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Used carbide inserts

What do you do with used carbide inserts?

Just wondering what shops do with them , considering how expensive each one is.

recycling is usually what will happen to them in most companies that consume a fair bit of carbide , they are worth a good chunk of change with the recyclers
    A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........

Scrap carbide fetches around $8 USD / lb. Production shops will go through a lot of carbide fast, especially with heavier endmills, but for small shops that aren't likely to accumulate much, it may make sense just to toss em out.

-Sol
    Glacern Machine Tools

We just save them in a pail. Been working on the first pailfull for 30 years Some traveller stopped in and offered me a whopping $1 per pound, I told him they were worth more than that to me as scrap.......once in a while, I'll root through them and get something useful out.....useful after its been ground (to remove the coating), brazed onto something and then sharpened. Old carbide endmills and burrs can often be pressed into service (after grinding) as a die drill for drilling hard stuff, like broken taps and eze outs.
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

One carbide salesman told me he gathered used carbide inserts. Then he would throw them over the fence into a steel scrap pile at the local foundry.

He figured he'd sell more inserts as the local shops machined the carbide infested castings from the foundry. LOL

Dick Z
    DZASTR

I'm in the market for some new carbide inserts for steel that can be used for finishing and roughing. I generally like the brand Kennametal but my local vendor just went up in price....can anyone suggest a place online where I can buy these without burning a hole in my pocket?

Having some "scrap" carbide inserts kicking around can be convienent. Like previously mentioned they can brazed onto other bits or ground to suit a specific use. Cut off and top notch style groove tools can be turned into all kids of nice form tools. Some inserts can be reground by hand for more forgiving materials. Alot of my inserts see at least a life or two. Like using finish inserts as light rough inserts after they no longer give a good finish. Used carb end mills that can no longer be re-ground make relatively usefull boring bars as well.

Quote Originally Posted by MFGjosh View Post
    I'm in the market for some new carbide inserts for steel that can be used for finishing and roughing. I generally like the brand Kennametal but my local vendor just went up in price....can anyone suggest a place online where I can buy these without burning a hole in my pocket?
    Have you tried http://www.carbidedepot.com ? The best general-purpose roughing-finishing grade I've used recently is the Valenite VP5625. It seemed good until I increased the speed by quite a bit.....then it was GREAT.

Quote Originally Posted by Glacern View Post
    Scrap carbide fetches around $8 USD / lb. Production shops will go through a lot of carbide fast, especially with heavier endmills, but for small shops that aren't likely to accumulate much, it may make sense just to toss em out.
    you're getting $8 /pound?!?!

i'd love to know who in Canada is paying anywhere close to that.....any leads guys?

Carbide 3 years ago was going for close to $8.00 per pound. I have heard now it's down quite a bit.

Next week I will start representing a company that has been doing regrinds and recoating of inserts. There business is really growing. I guess it has been working pretty good. If anyone would like to ship us some to try, let me know. It would depend on the condition of the insert. I have worked for the big carbide companies like Kennametal and a few others. With the price they now charge, this has been a huge cost savings. The fact you can ship reasonable quanities anywhere. Really opens up the possiblities.

Carbide depot typically offers older grades and coatings.

I would like to know prices in the United States. Last I heard recycled carbide was being bought for around $5.00 a pound. Any that know a higher price I would be interested to know where.

Used CNMG's are good ammo for sling-shots

Quote Originally Posted by laka View Post
    Used CNMG's are good ammo for sling-shots
    Just joking, I would hope. Used CNMG's are usually good for roughing with the unused the 105 degree corners in an MSKNR/L holder for face cuts or a MCRNR/L holder for O.D. turning. Some companies make a face mill for those corners as well, but I think it's a waste of carbide to try using most turning grades for a milling application.

Used and scrap Carbide

The price for used and scrap varies greatly by the day or week, Today we are paying $12.00 per pound trade credit for clean Scrap Carbide by far the highest we have seen any were in the industry. It is a great way to recover spent tooling dollars. For further information visit

http://www.CarbideAndDiamondTopoling.com

Phone 716 791 6197 fax 716 625 1312

[email protected]

Carbide Scrap Wanted

Hi all,

I am a purchaser or reusable no-hole carbide inserts as well as Carbide Scrap. For reusable no-hole inserts (all shapes and sizes) I can offer anywhere from $12-14 per lb. For Carbide scrap I can offer $9.00/lb.

If you have any to offer please email me at [email protected]

Dynamic Trading Co
    Baltimore, MD.