586,072 active members*
4,681 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Need NEMA 34 to NEMA 23 Adapter

I have an old router (1989) that I am rebuilding. I am replacing the old round NEMA 34 steppers with some NEMA 23 steppers.

I need an adapter mounting plate that will fit the NEMA 34 mount on the router and then allow me to fasten a NEMA 23 motor to it. A step-dowm mounting plate if you will.

Here is an example NEMA 42 to NEMA 34; I need NEMA 34 to NEMA 23.
    http://www.machmotion.com/index.php?cPath=36_56

Anyone know of a source for these?

Thanks,

John

Hi John.

This would not be difficult to make with a drill press--or even a hand drill. You only need to cut a plate to proper size and drill some holes in it. You don't HAVE to cut the large circular pocket--Just use some stand off washers on the four motor mount bolts.

Measurements of each are available in specifications:

http://kelinginc.net/SMotorstock.html

But why not just use a N34 replacement motor?

CR.

Thanks!

My reason for going to NEMA 23 is simply to save money at this point.

The existing motors work, but are unlabeled. The manufacturer removed all markings and labels. Through some here-say evidence in various postings in other threads, someone with one of these machines found their motors were NEMA 34, 7A, and 450 oz-in.

The existing drives are beautiful but belong in a musuem. You connect to the controller from a PC running terminal emulation software, and upload g-code to the build in controller that has a 6502 processor (AppleII) and then run the gcode my making menu selections. There is only enough memory for about 1000 lines of gcode, and the drives do not microstep so everything is jerky.

I have a 4 axis Rockcliff controller but it can only handle 2.5 A per axis.

So:
    I could by three Geckos and a breakout board for ~$500 and use existing motors
    or
    I can by three NEMA 23 steppers for $52 each that are rated at 2.5 A and 425 oz-in torque.

Any NEMA 34 motors I have found in that torque range either need 4 to 6 amps, or cost more than $400 per motor.

If there is a solution I have over looked please feel free to comment!

Thanks,

John

Okay. Then the Cheapest solution is the N23 motors. You can easily make the adapter plates. You will also have to make shaft adapters.

What Voltage is the power supply on the router?

CR.

The existing power supply is 40 volts 10 amps.

I have a 24 volt 7 amp supply (switching) that I plan to use.

It is a well built wood router about 22 X19 inch capacity. Gantry appears to be made from 0.5 inch aluminum, for example, with 5/8 precision acme screws.

John

The formula for determining best motor Voltage is 32 times the square root of the motor inductance. Most 425 oz N23s require about 80V for best operation. Do you know the parallel inductance of your motors?

Also, N23s have been known to snap their tiny shafts when used to replace N34s.

CR.

Is this machine going to be used in business? If so, then downtime= money lost.

The best solution is to get the machine making money as quickly and reliably as possible. I would recommend you spend the $600 to buy a 3 Axis PMDX-132, quickly connect it to existing motors & PSU, and start making sawdust:

http://www.pmdx.com/PMDX-132

CR.

Hey John. If you still want a N34 adapter: CNC Router parts sells a N34 mounting plate for $14. You would just have to drill 4 holes in it and add some standoff washers, to make it into an N23 adapter.

http://cncrouterparts.com/product_in...products_id=31

CR.

Thanks for all the advice!

To answer your question - is this machine going to be used for business?

The answer to that is maybe. I hope to use it to try some CNC Sign Routing basically as a learning experience - sort of a proof of concept. The table on this wood router is only about 19 inches square so I am a bit limited.

Maybe I will use this one to build a bigger one should I be able to justify it.

I also have a CNC Wood Lathe that needs new electronics as well as a New Hermes Engraver that I have up and running with Mach3. It has a 12 X 19 table.

I may purchase on of the mounting plates from CNC Router Parts but I might try making one myself first. The X and Y axis are no problem as the NEMA 34 motor is mounted right to the 0.5 aluminum frame with drilled and tapped holes. I just need to drill and tap four new holes each and should be good. The Z axis has the motor on a bit of a standoff and will need a plate of some description.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Phoenix_router.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Crevice Reamer View Post
    Is this machine going to be used in business? If so, then downtime= money lost.

The best solution is to get the machine making money as quickly and reliably as possible. I would recommend you spend the $600 to buy a 3 Axis PMDX-132, quickly connect it to existing motors & PSU, and start making sawdust:

http://www.pmdx.com/PMDX-132

CR.
    That's an interesting set up. Is it just a break out board that has inserts so that you can just plug the geckos in? Or does it do anything else that, say a c11g can't?

At $600 the price includes the Geckos. The unit was on display at the CNC Workshop last week - it is a very nice board.

I was able to get a NEMA 34 to 23 adapter from Rockcliff Machine:
    http://www.rockcliffmachine.com/prod...roducts_id=116

It fit perfectly and solved the problem. My router has been up and running for a couple months now.

Thanks,

John

Quote Originally Posted by jjackson View Post
    At $600 the price includes the Geckos. The unit was on display at the CNC Workshop last week - it is a very nice board.

I was able to get a NEMA 34 to 23 adapter from Rockcliff Machine:
    http://www.rockcliffmachine.com/prod...roducts_id=116

It fit perfectly and solved the problem. My router has been up and running for a couple months now.

Thanks,

John
    Thanks John. That Nema adapter is exactly what I needed!
    In terms of the break out board, I have 3 geckos already and am looking for a break out board. What does this one do that a less expensive one like the c11g couldn't?