586,114 active members*
3,207 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: New to CAD

New to CAD

Gentlemens:

I downloaded Alibre Design and have been wading throught the tutorials. I must say that I am pretty impressed. I have zero experience with CAD and the tutorials actually enabled me to make the drawings. Not only that, the whole thing seemed to make sense. Whoda thought it?

I confess to an almost complete ignorance of CAD, CAM and even CNC. I have been an old school tool room machinist for longer than I would care to remember, but never graduated past digital readouts. In preparation for a step into the Brave New World with a Haas tm1, I have been studying G codes and now even playing with CAD. It will be no surprise that I am full of elementary questions. If y'all can stand a few real basic questions, I start with one now...

What is the process of taking a 3d model fromand getting it into a CAM program and out in a format that will hopefully make sense to the Haas?

Thanks for your help.

Glenn

Its really simple once you get the basics down. You basically draw your part up in whatever CAD (your case Alibre). For doing 3d, you'll likely need a CAM software as well. You select your machining operations in the CAM, generate your toolpath within. Everything looks ok, post process the g-code for your specific controller. Transfer the code via a cable or cd or whatever is easiest for you. The rest is the machines job to handle.

Mr. Harley:

Thank you for your help. It all seems pretty straight forward. I will continue to play with the program and see what happens.

After all, what could possibly go wrong? :drowning:

Glenn