586,035 active members*
3,770 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Fadal > Sharing my LCD KEYBOARD Proface Touch Screen install to Fadal VMC15

Sharing my LCD KEYBOARD Proface Touch Screen install to Fadal VMC15

I have installed a Proface HMI touchscreen interface to my VMC15. Just wanted that more modern look and update to the machine. It also gave me a reason to try and understand ladder logic a little.

That is a Proface GP577R on a Allen Bradley SLC 500 PLC interfaced to the Fadal keyboard interface.

One of the main reasons for this upgrade is the macro command I can now put in the HMI. One button Tool calling now. No more MDI, M6T10 start. its one button and sit back and watch tool 10 come home to spindle.

one button power off.

Many more things to come with the inputs and outputs also.

Enjoy !
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails proface_fadal.jpg  

this is very intersting can you be more specific

I figure that most people are on the 'if it is not broke, dont fix it' mode here on the forum. Pulling the pendant apart and learning about the keyboard matrix was no fun at all. Thankfully it was just a analog setup where a continuos path was made with the push of a button on the keyboard. With that known, then it is a decoding of the 60 keys. They are arranged in a 8x8 arrangement giving 64 possible combinations of any two together makes up a signal. On the keyboard PCB with the clear ribbon cable, you will see on the older PCB's X0-X7 and Y0-Y7 .

I took a SLC 500 PLC and with the relay output board installed, it is capable of not only push the button and get one result, push the button, set up some delays with internal timing on the ladder logic, and I can get macros just like typing on the keyboard. If Fadal had took the time to make ONE button tool getting from the ATC, I would have been pretty happy, but since I had to do MDI, M6T10, Start .. just too many buttons to me. Now it is push Tool 10 button and it takes off to get the tool.

The Proface 577R is capable of 64 colors. It is an overlay touch screen device. I want to get a Resistive touchscreen with TFT screen, but those are in the $1000 range to start and up to $4000. I managed to get my 577R for $250.

The Proface can have 99 different screens. I so far have only 3 programmed into it.

That's probably the coolest mod I've ever seen done to a Fadal! :cheers:

Hat's off to you! :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

I don't know why you guys are encouraging this kind of behavior. He's hot-rodding a Fadal, fer chrissakes.

Next thing ya know, he'll be modding the tool change mechanism to cut tool change time in 1/2......

.......:bat:

perfect.

I just saw a 8030 that had this touch screen keyboard. How well did it work and did you notice and quirks?
    We have had good luck with our Fadals milling mostly soft steel and aluminum up to 5 axis. We are always looking for spare parts If you have a broken down Fadal give a shout.

That's very cool!

Nice call to use the keyboard macros to add functionality as you please.

Cheers,

BW
    Try G-Wizard Machinist's Calculator for free:
    http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCGWizard.html

I realize this is a very old thread, but for me its one of those "have to have mods" I cant live without. Does anyone know how to get ahold of this guy? I have send a PM and appers to no longer be an active user.

I would be intersted in any information that pertains to this mod. An Rslogix 500 file would be great!

PM sent. I am still around

PM replied

any videos on it carrying out a tool change from one push button? How much time invested in doing such a mod?

I'm looking at doing something similiar to this project with my CNC88. Does anyone know if fastfieros is still around?? Jet A, did you ever get any info on the keyboard breakdown? I'm trying to figure out how the signal is built for which key is being pressed.

If anyone has any info, I would GREATLY appreciate it. Hopefully I can get this up and running and give people the process on making it work when I'm all finished.

Thanks!

FastFieros, thanks for sharing! Would like to do something similar one day.

SDFoiler, not sure if you saw this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgYh...XvhR0&index=19