586,299 active members*
3,818 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Fadal > General Fadal Question

General Fadal Question

Hey Guys,
    Looking to possibly purchase a '90s/early 2000 vintage 4020. Can someone tell me if there is a more desireable year for this class machine? After reading a little someone mentioned in '97 they started going to AC motors. Is this a better option? Is there a rev of software/controller that has additional features over the previous? When did Fadal come out with the updated controller they had so much trouble with? On this class of machine what are the high wear/ high service items? If I make a purchase, just looking to spend my money wisely.

Thanks
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by coloradoskibum View Post
    Hey Guys,
    Looking to possibly purchase a '90s/early 2000 vintage 4020. Can someone tell me if there is a more desireable year for this class machine? After reading a little someone mentioned in '97 they started going to AC motors. Is this a better option? Is there a rev of software/controller that has additional features over the previous? When did Fadal come out with the updated controller they had so much trouble with? On this class of machine what are the high wear/ high service items? If I make a purchase, just looking to spend my money wisely.

Thanks
    Jim
    The controller that some dont like, but I am sure others may to some degree is the MP32.

there are differences in the 88 and the 88HS series of pendants. The 88HS tends to have the rigid tap, 10k spindles.

I am sure others will think of things I cant come with right now.

All I know is that I love my 1996 4020. 10k rpm and rigid tapping. The problem I have is worn turcite on the ways that really should be replaced and for some reason the z-axis repeatability is not always reliable.

I think the troublesome control you refer to is the 104D control. Fadal only made them for a short time and to the best of my knowledge Fadal either replaced the control or the machine for most if not all the machines they sold with that control. The biggest wear item- Bellville washers for the draw bar.

Techman

Exactly - there is NO issues with the MP32.
    The MP32 IS the 88HS control WITH a PC added on to the side (for CAM) with a built in DNC system.

I suggest you get a '96 or newer and stay away from the 104D control.
    without knowing what you need it is hard to suggest anything.

Necessary items or me
    1) 10K spindle
    2) Rigid tapping
    3) Extended Z (28")
    4) Box ways
    5) Complete 4 axis
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

Thanks for the input guys. Is there a way, beyond visual, to determine how much turcite is remaining on the ways? How many hours, if that is a good way to determine, is typical for these machines before this needs to be replaced? If this needs to be done, how big a ticket item is this? My needs seem to be ever changing, but the 40x20 travel, 10K spindle are a couple. I will initially be doing plastic and aluminum, 2-1/2d with maybe some 3d contouring in the future. My original question was directed at if there was any large improvements in any of the 90's and early 2000 machines that were worth holding out for when buying a Fadal. Also trying to understand some of the maintence cost associated with buying and operating a 8-10 year old machine once I get it on site and running. My plan is to find a machine in the price range I am looking at, with the features I think I need and have it professionally inspected before I buy. For now I am trying to sponge off your experience to narrow down my search.

Thanks again
    Jim

At least run an indicator across the table to see if runs flat. Mine is not. There is about .008" slope when I run through the Y travel.

I purchased a 1993 VMC15 in 2007. I paid what was considered good value for that time the machines were selling for. Today, I would get no less than a 1996 machine in order to make sure you are on SYS101.3 and 1010-5 axis cards, and 1400-5 CPU card.

I have SYS97.1, 1010-4 axis cards, CPU 1400-4... it all runs ok, but getting these parts at a reasonable price is difficult. The newer machines 1996 and above seem to have parts come up for sale more often these days.

Just for your information, System 97 and later normally requires a dash 5 system to make full use of all of the newer feature of the revised software.

Neal

AFAIK all the AC models (late 95+?) running the 88HS control will be a -5 system.
    This is why I recomended to get a 96 or newer.
    Boards and memory are expensive and still lacking in my -4 (something like 440k memory max and it cost me $500 used).
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

Good info guys! Is there a page/screen on the control that will show you the software and board revisions? Or does this show on a start-up screen when you power up the control?

Neal,
    What "newer features" are you talking about that the -5 boards make full us of? Or is it too lengthy to get into it here?

Jim

88 control had a 1400-2 cpu / limited expanded memory;with 1100-1 controler cards
    88HS; 1400-3 cpu (did not performed good, so it was dicontinued.)1400-4/5/6 the latest one with up too
    1gb on the expanded memory.

Denmar--
    FYI-- the 1100-1 board is a power distribution board. The controller cards are the 1010 boards. The 1400-5C CPU can have up to 16 meg of expanded memory. The 1 gb memory is only available if you install the USB to RS-232 device and use a 1gb memory stick.

Neal

Quote Originally Posted by coloradoskibum View Post
    Is there a page/screen on the control that will show you the software and board revisions? Or does this show on a start-up screen when you power up the control?

Jim
    I see no one answered this one.

The version coming up is different on the SYS PROM models. The best to know what SYS is on the board is to check the CPU card 1400-? and you will see a smaller board attached. There will be a label on it with the SYS model.

On my SYS97.3 . you can go to the help screen ( MU ) from a command prompt and the SYS number is in the top left. However on SYS96 it does not do this.

Before the SYS style of software the software ID number is located on the bottom left of the last page of the Menu. On the SYS style of software the software version is located at the top of the screen on the last page of the menu.

Neal

Thanks again guys for answering my questions. I am going to try and look at a '97 4020 tomorrow and a couple Haas VF-3s.

Jim