586,075 active members*
4,182 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Errors on Arc in Mach

From the "Jogging bug..." thread:

P.S. And at the risk of a hijack, I'll answer MichaelHenry from several days ago: When I am milling very small details, SprutCAM will create a command for an arc, but will put zero for the radius. Mach will load the program and display it just fine, but will stop on that block and croak when I run it. The fix (for me) is to edit the program and replace all occurrences of zero radius with a small number (like 0.0001). The saddest part is that I usually find out after the part runs for a while, so I usually start from that line after I fix the problem. It's always a nail biter to restart like that, especially with very small tooling.
    Are you using lead in or out on any of the ops where you get this error? I recall getting the same thing before and have a nagging memory that it was related to the lead in parameters on at least one occasion. In other cases I think it may have been related to the radius on the corners of a rectangular pocket and that increasing the design corner radius to something a little over the size of the cutter resolved it.

For example if using a 1/4" end mill to mill out a 2" x 4" pocket, I'd specify 0.251" radius on the corners of the pocket in the Alibre design.

Of course I could be mis-remembering all or any of the above.

I'm absolutely positive that it annoyed the heck out of me every time it happened.

Mike

That radius would be right for an 1/2" (diameter) cutter, right? For a 1/4", you would use a 0.126" radius?
    Stephan

Yeah, that sounds right. And I believe he's talking about cutter comp, G41/G42.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I do know that when using an arc as a lead-in or lead out (even without compensation G41, G42) that the radius of the arc should be slightly larger than the cutter radius (otherwise there might be an error). However when I am machining a pocket with a corner radius smaller than the cutter radius there is just extra material left in the corner that isn't machined away. If I were to follow up with a smaller dia. cutter it would clean up and the result would be the correct radius.

Michael Henry

The problem is in your Cam program Not in Mach control if your posted Gcode has a 0.0000 corner radius & you have a cutter that has a .010r it will not go past that line of code because your cutter is to big to do a 0.0000 radius
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by StephanWenger View Post
    That radius would be right for an 1/2" (diameter) cutter, right? For a 1/4", you would use a 0.126" radius?
    Stephan
    Yep - it should have been a 0.126 radius.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    Michael Henry

The problem is in your Cam program Not in Mach control if your posted Gcode has a 0.0000 corner radius & you have a cutter that has a .010r it will not go past that line of code because your cutter is to big to do a 0.0000 radius
    I hadn't thought about corner radius since most of my designs and end mill so far have used square-cornered wall/floor intersections and my end mills are almost all square cornered (so far as I know). If the features and end mills are both square cornered and the CAM software carries that info forward, Mach shouldn't have a problem, should it?

Come to think of it, it seems to me that on one or two occasions I got the radius error in the middle of a job at least once, restarted it from the beginning and the error did not repeat. Unfortunately I was in too big a hurry at the time to make notes of circumstances or settings at the time. If it happens again is there anythings special I should look for in the G-code?

Mike

Mike

I would love to see a Endmill that can cut a inside square corner, it can not be done there will aways be a radius in the corner of at least half the dia of the cutter

You can go around the outside of a part & have a square corner but when cutting around a pocket you need to draw a radius in the corner of your part, or the control will stop every time it comes to a corner because the cutter can not fit around a 0.00 corner

The control will only let the cutter go were the Gcode is telling it to go in your case a 000 corner is going to stop .000 is no ware you have to tell the cutter to go around the corner

Like/say corner radius being .126 in your part, A .250 EndMill will then go around your corner
    Mactec54

My CAM just ignores the square corner of a rectangular pocket with zero radius corners and goes into the corner as far as the cutter diameter will allow. I though this was kinda standard procedure for any CAM program.

Phil

Michael Henry

philbur

That is correct most cam systems will do what you are saying, & will let the cutter go into the corner as far as it can, this is usely a choice that you have to make when you select the tool path you want to do in your cam program
    Mactec54

What other choices are there?

Phil

philbur

That is correct most cam systems will do what you are saying, & will let the cutter go into the corner as far as it can, this is usely a choice that you have to make when you select the tool path you want to do in your cam program

Mike

I would love to see a Endmill that can cut a inside square corner, it can not be done there will aways be a radius in the corner of at least half the dia of the cutter

You can go around the outside of a part & have a square corner but when cutting around a pocket you need to draw a radius in the corner of your part, or the control will stop every time it comes to a corner because the cutter can not fit around a 0.00 corner

The control will only let the cutter go were the Gcode is telling it to go in your case a 000 corner is going to stop .000 is no ware you have to tell the cutter to go around the corner

Like/say corner radius being .126 in your part, A .250 EndMill will then go around your corner
    Sorry - by corner radius I meant the corner of the cutter. I know that some end mills have a radius or chamfer on each tooth and thought that was what you were referring to.

Mike