586,058 active members*
3,930 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > I am FINALLY building One! help....LOL

Talking I am FINALLY building One! help....LOL

Hi All,

I am building my first CNC machine and am about 80% complete with the structure. I need to start getting my thoughts together for the electronics to drive everything and need some advise on a complete electronics package. In my researching I have found a bunch of individual components and u-build boards but I would like to ask for some opinions on buying a complete plug and play setup. I am not electronic savy enough to want to try to assymble a board from scratch so the hobby cnc stuff is out. Are there any good packages available that include ALL the electronics needed minus computer.

My machine is mdf using the angled alluminum and skate bearing design and has approximately 20" x 40" cutting area. I want to use the machine to make relief carvings in cabinet doors and for building fire place mantels with carvings of wildlife scapes etc. I do not plan on any pcb milling or any type of metal to be cut.

What size stepper would be best for this application? I see people using anywhere from about 200 to 600 oz motors and don't know which to use.

Any help is GREATLY appriciated. I have been toying with the idea of building a DIY cnc for over a year now and finally got the time to build.

on the software end of things. i am planning on running mach 3, V-carve, CamBam and ? suggestions

thanks for your time and thoughts!

crash

Been looking around and found the Gecko G540 ... this would take care of the drivers and breakout board and then found 387 oz steppers sold by Keling for 49.00 usd each. the info page states these steppers are correct for use with the G540. what else am I needing besides these 2 items? I assume I will need a power supply to connect to the G540??

sory for dumb questions... I'll get this figured out soon enough...

Yes, power supply. You don't need a breakout board with the G540, though. keling sells a complete kit with power supply, G540, and steppers.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

If you buy the steppers from www.cncrouterparts.com they come pre-wired with connector for G540 for $52.
    12 foot extension cables are also available.

Thank you BOTH for the replies.

I just put the items on my christmas wish list my wife demanded from me due Nov 1!

Going with the g540 and prewired steppers along with the powersupply and cables from fineline. Now all thats left is the software WOOT!!!

looking to go with mach 3 and CamBam and then V-Carve.

Any other software suggestions/recommendations??

I finished the machine tonight and all that's left is the electronics....man come on Santa!!!!!!

thanks again!

crash

On the software front I really like Meshcam and cut2d even though I've only tried the demo's. I like cut 3d too but I felt like I had more control with meshcam. For cad I use either Google sketchup with a plug in to get dxf files or an old copy of solid works that I have. I am useing the free version of cambam and while I'm finding it workable, I'm just not enjoying it. But it's free so what the heck am I complaining about.

i'll look into meshcam, not heard of it till now...i have been playing around with cambam seems easy...

In the end you probably going to want one 2d cam program and one 3d. They each have their purposes. What will you be useing to draw up your designs?

good question, I use paint shop pro to make designs but never thought about if this can be used into cnc machining... the 3d progs i have in mind are photo v carve and v carve pro... 2d I have been playing around with the free trial of CamBam and don't know if i like it or not yet.

looking up mechcam tonight to check it out....

Something to look at for the CAD side of things is ProgeCAD, it is a free download that is basically exactly the same as Autocad, you have to register online but it doesn't cost anything, I use it but only for 2D drawings, it won't do 3D. Not a problem for me as most things I need it for it works well.

Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by crashswiftly View Post
    good question, I use paint shop pro to make designs but never thought about if this can be used into cnc machining... the 3d progs i have in mind are photo v carve and v carve pro... 2d I have been playing around with the free trial of CamBam and don't know if i like it or not yet.

looking up mechcam tonight to check it out....
    Unless it has vactor drawing tools and can export .dxf files ( I don't think so), PSP won't be usable for CNC.

Photo V-Carve and V-Carve Pro are not considered 3D programs. Photo V-Carve is a very specialized software that basicaly does one thing. Photos.

V-Carve Pro is a 2D CAM program, with drawing tools and V-Carving. The drawing tools are quite good in it, and many people use it for all their design work as well as CAM.

Another free CAD program is DoubleCAD, http://www.doublecad.com/Products/Do...0/Default.aspx

With MeshCAM, you'll need a 3D CAD or modeling program to create your 3D models, unless you plan on purchasing them.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Right now I'm useing the free version of google sketchup, exporting the models as dxf with a plugin, and then useing the free version of cam bam to get my gcode. I'm actually cutting out my parts for my next cnc as we speak. The great thing about sketchup is there are a ton of free tutorials on youtube to get you designing quickly. That's my biggest gripe with all cad programs. You have to fork over a great chunk of change for the program and then spend a lot more for the tutorials or a class.

A free3d cam program is freemill. It's very limited in the types of toolpaths it creates but it is useful.

Thanks for all the responses...

Ok...I think I'm catching on a little...

V-Carve will be purchased later on for 2.5 d cutting which is what i will mainly be doing...3d is not really where i'll be because i won't be running a 4th axis anyway. I was confused and was thinking that doing relief carvings and raised carves was actually 3d....

I downloaded the progecad trial and LIKE it.... I am used to Autocad but to poor to be buying a lic so this is perfect!

I have mach3 so control software is covered. I figure for now, CamBam will be fine for the 2d stuff i'll be cutting out, mainly mdf for shop jigs and mockups. (unless theres a better solution?)

Photo V-Carve is still on the list because of a project i'v been wanting to do in our home theater for a long time. Making wood carvings of movie posters then using them as part of a paneled wall.

I ran through a few tutorials last night on V-Carve and think it will cover about all i need in my cabinet projects. expensive software but looks Really Sweet!

Bought an Hitachi router today to use as my spindle. Seemed like a well liked router by the guys running joes design so giving it a shot. its the 2-1/4 hp m12vc. variable speed from 8000 to 24000

I am going with the g540 and the 380 oz steppers that are pre wired for the g540. plus the power supply and cables...basically buying all on the page over at fineline.

Are there any other sites to get pre made designs to use like the ones at vector3d? given the amount of time it would take for me to learn 3d cad i bet purchasing pre-mades will be cheaper in the long haul.

Thanks EVERYONE! for the feedback and info. I am brand new to this hobby and know i have a long way to go to learn this stuff but i think i'm getting there now.

Crash

Quote Originally Posted by crashswiftly View Post
    I was confused and was thinking that doing relief carvings and raised carves was actually 3d....
    They are actually 3D. You don't need a 4th axis to do 3D. But V-Carve Pro does not do 3D, except for V Carving. You can't carve Vector Art 3D models with V-Carve Pro. Although it may let you import toolpaths created by VectorArt's 3D machinist, but I'll have to check.

For other models, check out 3D Model Club.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset