586,075 active members*
4,018 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > Troublrs drilling on center in Haas SL20

Troublrs drilling on center in Haas SL20

Can someone help with this. We are trying to center drill, drill and tap on center in our lathe. We are off center by .012 for some reason. Can someone explain to me the best method for finding spindle center with toolholder for drilling. The jaws are bored, we are using a outside face holder, with drill chuck insert. Seems perhaps center is not picked up perfect, but not sure best way to pick up.

Thanks,

Rick

Im a little rusty on lathes, but will give it shot. Im used to running a hl2 so it may not be the same. I usually just press f1 which is distance to center when you are touching off the tool you are using. It will automatically input the distance to center in x. Its the same as touching off your turning tools except you dont input a diameter and just press f1 to get the distance. That should give you center unless something has changed on the machine.

Hope this help's, I just read the FAQ's at the Aloris web sight and it gave a discription on how to do what your asking.

Chuck

Perhaps the tool is above or below center by .006". This might require shimming the turret or making a slightly offset-eccentric toolholder somehow, as a patchup.
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)