586,089 active members*
3,877 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Honest opinion about the Tormach mills

Honest opinion about the Tormach mills

I am looking a these machines but I would like to hear from some others that use their mills. What does a person need to watch out for?

Thanks

Kenton

Kenton, I'd suggest that you start by reading all the threads in this forum! There are praises and complaints, arguments and rebuttals, and discussions galore about the Tormach. I certainly fall into all the above categories myself. Then, if you notice that any subjects haven't already been covered, would be a good time to ask specific questions. A CNC mill is a complicated system that doesn't lend itself to quick overview. Just one opinion, though I think you'll be hard-pressed to find someone who owns a Tormach who wouldn't buy it again. I fall in that category too.

Randy (Tormach owner/user since Oct 2006)

will do thanks Randy.

Tormach

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr9900 View Post
    Kenton, I'd suggest that you start by reading all the threads in this forum! There are praises and complaints, arguments and rebuttals, and discussions galore about the Tormach. I certainly fall into all the above categories myself. Then, if you notice that any subjects haven't already been covered, would be a good time to ask specific questions. A CNC mill is a complicated system that doesn't lend itself to quick overview. Just one opinion, though I think you'll be hard-pressed to find someone who owns a Tormach who wouldn't buy it again. I fall in that category too.

Randy (Tormach owner/user since Oct 2006)
    DITTO,
    RAD. Yes those are my initials. Idea, design, build, use. It never ends.
    PCNC1100 Series II, w/S3 upgrade, PDB, ATC & 4th's, PCNC1100 Series II, 4th

Why don't you go to the Tormach web site to the referrals link and see if there is someone near you that is willing to demo their machine to you.

Come to think of it hold on and I will get the link for you.

http://www.tormach.com/referrals.html

I did this and one of the contacts was about 60 miles from me. I was pretty impressed to say the least.

Good luck/
    Kind Regards, BobSkype# boba1618,
    http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y39/Deere_X475guy/Machine%20Shop/

Fame at last that's me there in Norway.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by deere_x475guy View Post

HAHA...good for you, and what a great place to become famous.
    Kind Regards, BobSkype# boba1618,
    http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y39/Deere_X475guy/Machine%20Shop/

I bought my Tormach mill just around 3 years ago, disassembled it into major parts and put it back together in the basement. I've had a few minor problems but they've all been resolved quickly and professionally by Tormach so I would have no hesitation in recommending Tormach to others or in buying another for myself should the need arise.

The market is a bit different now than it was three years ago and there is more competition in the form of Industrial Hobbies, Novakon, Makini, and Syil/Sieg. One thing that attracted me to Tormach 3 years ago was that the company had substantial documentation available for their entire product line and all of it was available on the web, even the 200+ page manual and the design philosophy white paper. None of the competitors has the equivalent so far as I can tell, even today.

It's also encouraging to see that Tormach continues to develop and bring new products to market. That suggests that they are planning on long-term company viability and will be around to support the product for years to come.

Mike

Mine's a little over 2 years old. I am getting good use out of it. Tormach has been fantastic to deal with, and they're only getting better.

No plans to move away from it - I just ordered the drive upgrade and the T/C tapping head.

Dave

Considering the price, I couldnt be more pleased and would certainly purchase one again. Ive owned the machine about 3 years and made hundreds of parts with it.

They have made substaintial improvements to the machine since my purchase as well.

Tormach is run by Greg, one freaking smart guy... Extremely helpful staff and documention.

While there is more competition out there, I doubt there is one with as proven of a track record as Tormach. As far as capabilty... just go watch the videos on the site.

David

I have been using the Tormach for over two years for prototyping and limited production for my small business with excellent results. I have had no real problems with my Tormach with over two years of hard usage. Tormach is the best company I have ever dealt with and would buy a Tormach again. Things to look out for: IMO buy the Deluxe stand with flood coolant.

How about their tooling that they offer?

Kenton, you'll want as many TTS holders as you can afford. I started with the CNC Operator's Set and have bought 3 more ER20 holders (and could use 3 or 4 more). I'm using all the 3/8" endmill holders and two of the four 1/2" endmill holders. I've also converted my flycutter to TTS with an adapter ring. TTS is fantastic! After you set up your tool table in the software, you can run multiple-tool programs by just touching off the first tool to get the Z height, and then just changing tools as they are called for and clicking "start" again.

As to the Tormach modular insert tooling, I have no experience. All the cutters are larger than I would ever use (it is rare that I use even a 1/2" endmill) and I by and large use Atrax carbide endmills that I buy on sale from Enco (it doesn't hurt that they almost always have free shipping on orders over $25 if you poke around a little for the discount codes...)

Randy

I love the ER20's, too! I'd have a dozen if I had the money laying around!

Interestingly, the Operator's set appears to come with 2x 1/4" and 2x 3/8" endmill holders now. Mine is Old Skool like yours - 4x 3/8". (4x 1/2" old and new.)

Dave