586,308 active members*
3,610 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Too Much Information!!!

Hi Guys, like many I have been reading and lurking for some time, but have decided to go CNC on my X3. Now I have a vague idea of the basics to build, but here is so much information here about new types of conversions and what not. However, any recomendations following these parameters would be great!

1) I need a solid system that that will mill all day (8 hours) through 6000 and 7000 series aluminum.
    2) I want to run Mach 3.
    3) Very accurate and Consistent.
    4) Simple to install, or at least not very hard.
    5) Around $2,000, prefer under rather than over (who doesnt).
    6) Dont really care about how fast it will mill. (Please see number 3)

I do like what I've seen on YouTube and the Zone with the Deluxe Fusion kit (becasue of the simple part). As far as mechanics, what else do I need for stability, acccuracy, consistency, etc...?

For the rest of it I was thinking of using one of the Keling 3-axis kits. Is there a better system? Better bang for my buck? Anything missing except computer?

Like I said I am very new, and any advice would be great. I know this is like beating a dead horse for some of you, but any input would be greatly appreciated!!

KLH

Wow, sorry my post is so long!
    KLH

I was you a few weeks ago. Follow this thread for the latest information about part selection. http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89153

I will be able to tell you in a few days how well the system is running.

For the cost part.. the mill +$2000 is about right. for a full blown production machine: I don't know about that one, but I am willing to bet you will need to take the time regularly to adjust the ways and oil it up. If I was to guess the weakest link in the machine it would be the drive motor, but that is just a guess. The X3 is still a new machine to me but like you the U-tube vids help sell me on it.

This was the route I went :

CNC Fusion Deluxe Kit

and these as recommended by "CR".

" Now, it's only experimental so far, and the few people trying it have not reported back yet, but there MAY be a less expensive way to go: "

$289 G540 This IS a breakout board also.
    $098 Keling KL23H2100-35-4B 381 oz motors for X and Y
    $099 Keling KL34H295-43-8A 906 oz N34 motor for Z (Detunes to 520 oz W/G540. Changing Z pulley to 1.2:1 = 640 Oz)
    $060 Keling KL-350-48 48V/7.3A PSU. (This will handle 3 motors. 4th axis needs more amps.)
    ---------
    $546

You would also need to substitute THIS pulley for the stock CNCFusion motor pulley:

https://sdp-si.com/eStore/PartDetail...52&GroupID=217

CR.

To the above also add 2 helical shaft adapter, limit switches, E-Stop switch, 25 pin straight cable, motor connection cable, (box / fan) to mount PSU and G540.

HTH

Jeff

Thanks Jeff. Yeah I have been reading your thread but I seem to have got lost somewhere in there. I am looking foward to your report on this new method.

How is the wiring job? (time and difficulty)
    KLH

The wiring will start tomorrow. With the G540 the wiring will be a dream. Mounting the parts and soldering up the DB9 connectors should take no more than a few hours. Unless I screw something up I should have the motors spinning tomorrow. Will be iffy if I get the limit switches installed or not. That might be another day. I have been looking at several mounting options and ideas.

From all the advice I received the only hardware config that may be better is the gecko 203v's but that will cost you another $400. The config I am trying looks good on paper, has the required torque for all axis, less chance to goof a wiring connection, and is a lot cheaper. Like you I was wanting accuracy hence the extra dollars spent of the Deluxe Fusion Kit. And yes it seems crazy to spend as much on the Kit as it did the X3 but I looked at it from the perspective of buying one of the SX3 or similar complete mills. Buying the parts and doing the conversion myself will run a little more than 1/2 of a completed system.

Jeff

I was kind of worried about the wiring, but if thats it then I should be fine.

Ill keep following your thread Jeff!!! Thanks.
    KLH

Hi KLH. Welcome to the Zone!

Maybe some of this will be helpful:

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78713.#3

CR.