586,075 active members*
3,871 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: new to swiss

new to swiss

Hi, Im going to be taking on a maier swiss lathe, I have been programing,set-up and running conventional lathes and mills for years, just wondering what Im in for,is there that much differance? i know the z is backwards, what about roughing cycles, do you use them, looks like you would be limited on the stroke, might pull out of the guide bushing? I guess you could take a pretty big D.O.C. any basic things I should know? I'll hit the books but thought I would see what you Guys had to say. thanks

First of all....don't make the mistake of trying to see how your Swiss machine is like your conventional lathe.....ITS NOT. I own, run, set-up and program both, the two are quite different. You can only make roughing passes on short parts that won't pull out of the guide bushing. The "Z" IS NOT BACKWARDS, the tools do not move in "Z", the headstock does. Get to know and understand G50 (work shift), it will really help. I have been running swiss machines for over 20 years, the people who can't make them run are the people that think they are like a CNC turning center. They are far more delicate. Get creative with them, that is what will set you apart from the rest of the world.
    www.atmswiss.com

Quote Originally Posted by positiverake View Post
    Hi, Im going to be taking on a maier swiss lathe, I have been programing,set-up and running conventional lathes and mills for years, just wondering what Im in for,is there that much differance? i know the z is backwards, what about roughing cycles, do you use them, looks like you would be limited on the stroke, might pull out of the guide bushing? I guess you could take a pretty big D.O.C. any basic things I should know? I'll hit the books but thought I would see what you Guys had to say. thanks
    A Maier? I used to be an applications engineer for the original importer & distributor in the US, though they are a standalone company here now. In fact, my understanding is that the original German company went insolvent, and the son of the founder had started a new company making the same products. A friend of mine is the Germany-based service manager.

Is this a new or a used one? If used, I probably worked on it at one time or another. What is the model number of this one?

MikeMc is right when he warns about using roughing passes. It can be done, but it's only for short pieces that need a lot of stock removal. You are right in that the Z axis is different. What is Z- on your regular CNC lathe is programmed as Z+ on the CNC screw machines. I can help you with a lot of the issues you'll face, especially if it's a 2003-2006 model. Let me know if you need anything specific. BTW MikeMc, these Maiers have a lot more power in the spindles and live tools than any of the Citizens, Stars, or other CNC screw machines I've run.

I am not familiar with Maier lathes, but I have worked pretty extensively with citizens and stars. The basic concepts of a swiss lathe are all the same though. The biggest piece of advice I would give to a new swiss operator is to be patient. The programming will be much more in depth, the detail required will be much more, and they can be pretty frustrating at times. Here are a few tips that will make your life easier if you stick to them:

1) ALWAYS make sure your guide bushing is in good condition, adjusted properly, and matches your material well. If this is ignored you will have all sorts of problems.

2) Make sure you set your tool height accurately each time. you cant cheat and just get it "Close Enough".

3) Learn the G-Codes by heart and know exactly how they interact.

Swiss lathes are great! I have run all sorts of machines and my favorite by far is the swiss. Have fun and good luck!

Swiss

Is this the new Venture Swiss machine Emco Maier distributes? If so they are the new line being introduced to the US. If they are as rigid as the machining center is, they are going to good machines. I have owned Star, Citizen and Hardinge. I have since sold the shop.

I am now a distributor for Emco/Venture Machines.

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisher View Post
    Is this the new Venture Swiss machine Emco Maier distributes? If so they are the new line being introduced to the US. If they are as rigid as the machining center is, they are going to good machines. I have owned Star, Citizen and Hardinge. I have since sold the shop.

I am now a distributor for Emco/Venture Machines.
    Emco Maier is a completely different company than Maier Machine Works of Wehingen Germany. In fact, that company went bankrupt but has been revived by the founder's son under a slightly different name though the machines are the same and made in the same factory there (albeit with a down=sized staff.)

Quote Originally Posted by yoopertool View Post
    1) ALWAYS make sure your guide bushing is in good condition, adjusted properly, and matches your material well. If this is ignored you will have all sorts of problems.
    This can't be stressed enough. Any time you're having a problem with a part, be it out of round, or bad finish or length issues, the first thing you look at is your guide bushing tension.

Also, with a swiss you can't get in a hurry. Take it slow and double check everything. You'll make up the time later when it's cruising along making good parts. If you get in a hurry and crash it though it will make your life miserable.

Lastly you'll notice a big difference in how you turn parts on a swiss vs conventional. You'll almost never take roughing passes outside of grooves and stuff. Everything is a finish pass which means you can't really use the same feeds and speeds that you're used to on a conventional. A .1 or more DOC is commonplace on a swiss. I've got a bolt that I turn from 7/8 down to .5 in one pass. Works great.