586,080 active members*
3,598 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

CNC Conversions for BP

I haven't posted for some time. I'm looking to get back into business and have been looking at the possibility of converting manual machines to CNC. My last job had HAAS and my own shop I had a FADLAL. So my CAD experience has been both MasterCam and BobCad. I'm seeing some nice promotion for MicroKinetics kits. My fear is that their controllers are specific to the cludgy sofware that they sell. Is there any companies that have conversion kits like MicroKinetics that will use my CAD/CAM? And how good is the MicroKinetics product? Also has anyone had experience with their lathes?

Quote Originally Posted by choppero View Post
    I haven't posted for some time. I'm looking to get back into business and have been looking at the possibility of converting manual machines to CNC. My last job had HAAS and my own shop I had a FADLAL. So my CAD experience has been both MasterCam and BobCad. I'm seeing some nice promotion for MicroKinetics kits. My fear is that their controllers are specific to the cludgy sofware that they sell. Is there any companies that have conversion kits like MicroKinetics that will use my CAD/CAM? And how good is the MicroKinetics product? Also has anyone had experience with their lathes?
    I'm really surprised at what MicroKinetics charges for their conversions. The X/Y kit is nothing more than a couple of very simple adaptor plates, pulleys and a pile of hardware for $795! Here I am thinking of "productizing" the conversion I did on my BP clone, and putting together a complete bolt-on 3-axis conversion including ballscrews, and servo motors for about $2500. Maybe that's too cheap!

Do you have experience doing the conversions?

Regards,
    Ray L.

Regards,
    Ray L.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P1040751.JPG   P1040752.JPG  

ball screws also

Microkinetics does offer XY ball screws Z conversions and knee conversions. with motion control hardware. All total around 6,000 I think.

Microkinetics does offer XY ball screws Z conversions and knee conversions. with motion control hardware. All total around 6,000 I think.
    Let's see:

X/Y Mounting Kit $ 795
    Quill Mounting Kit $1495
    Ballscrew Kit $ 975
    Motors $750

Total $4015 Not counting electronics.

And the ballscrews are low quality - +/-0.003"/foot. I figure I could offer a complete kit, with complete electronics, servos instead of steppers, and better quality screws for that much money.

Regards,
    Ray L.

In todays market, your better off to pick up a used VMC machine that is running for about $5000.00

Thanks

I do like the size of the Bridgeport, having had a J head years ago. My VMC weighed about 2 tons and was a pain to move without a BIG forklift.

HimyKabibble's assesment of the Microkinetics kit is probably correct but does not address my question on available products. I like the CAD/CAM I already have.

I am a gunsmith and my new space will be limited in size. I saw a reference to the BP BOSS. What did they weigh? and is it possible to find something like that?

I do like the size of the Bridgeport, having had a J head years ago. My VMC weighed about 2 tons and was a pain to move without a BIG forklift.

HimyKabibble's assesment of the Microkinetics kit is probably correct but does not address my question on available products. I like the CAD/CAM I already have.

I am a gunsmith and my new space will be limited in size. I saw a reference to the BP BOSS. What did they weigh? and is it possible to find something like that?
    If you use the microkinetics mechanical parts, you can use any electronics and software you like, since they're just using ordinary stepper motors. If you use their motion controllers, then you're stuck with their software.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Quote Originally Posted by HimyKabibble View Post
    I'm really surprised at what MicroKinetics charges for their conversions. The X/Y kit is nothing more than a couple of very simple adaptor plates, pulleys and a pile of hardware for $795! Here I am thinking of "productizing" the conversion I did on my BP clone, and putting together a complete bolt-on 3-axis conversion including ballscrews, and servo motors for about $2500. Maybe that's too cheap!

Do you have experience doing the conversions?

Regards,
    Ray L.

Regards,
    Ray L.
    Ray, your Bridgeport setup looks real clean. I suspect you could find a market for it.

Were you to go forward, I would definitely investigate swapping the motors to the back side on the Y-axis and Knee.

They're current at about kneecap height!

Cheers,

BW
    Try G-Wizard Machinist's Calculator for free:
    http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCGWizard.html

Quote Originally Posted by BobWarfield View Post
    Ray, your Bridgeport setup looks real clean. I suspect you could find a market for it.

Were you to go forward, I would definitely investigate swapping the motors to the back side on the Y-axis and Knee.

They're current at about kneecap height!

Cheers,

BW
    Bob,

Thanks. Tucking the motors more out of the way is one of the very few things I would change. It's easy to do on Y and the knee, just requires making the housings/belts a bit longer. On X, it's more of a problem, unless the housing is make a LOT longer, to tuck the motor under the knee casting - the table can actually move to where the end of the table is several inches *inboard* of the saddle on both ends. I'll finally be making my quill drive over the next couple of weeks. I"ve just finished the design, and will be cutting "proto" pieces in plastic to verify the dimensions in the next few days. It's gonna be really slick.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Quote Originally Posted by JHCHOPPERS View Post
    In todays market, your better off to pick up a used VMC machine that is running for about $5000.00
    Agreed!

Doing a conversion on a Bridgeport/knee mill will cost at least $6000 for new components. Price out how much a new CNC knee mill costs, you will find that it will be over $15K. Now add up the cost of the base machine then add screws, belts, pulleys, servo motors, control system, and miscellaneous mechanical bits and you will be real close to $15K.

Aside from getting a used VMC you might want to consider a used CNC bed or knee mill. That way you can keep the machine size and weight down. Better yet get one with a bad control and update it.

Good thought

I have been checking out local used machines. I think the more feedback the better. Has anyone got any experience with the BobCad Mill (2300-MK2)?