586,119 active members*
3,536 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Torch Shuts Down

I bought this machine new 3 mos back. Not long after I got it a problem started. The torch would touch off, then cut the lead-in plus about one inch then turn off, a split second later the motion would also stop. The air pressure regulator LED's on the Thermodyne double as an error code indicator. Every time the torch shuts down it shows a "85 psi" error. I will list them later. The problem would occur in manual mode also.

After a long 3 way phone call the PlasmaRoute and Thermodyne techs determined the problem was with the plasma unit and told me to take it to an authorized repair center.

So I did. The tech said he found a bad curuit board. About 2wks later I'm back up and running.

Well now the problem is back. It is behaving exactly as before. The problem is intermittent. It will either cut the entire part correctly or cut one inch and turn off. The one thing that is 100% consistent is that the torch always turns off at the start, never later in the program.

I am beginning to wonder if there ever was a problem with the plasma unit. Any ideas? -ted

PlasmaRoute 4x8 watertable
    Thermal Dynamics A80
    MP3000
    Mach3 R3.042.020
    SheetCAM
    steppers

Watch your air pressure during the cut, if it drops below the minimum pressure even for a second or 2 it will shut down the torch.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted383 View Post
    I bought this machine new 3 mos back. Not long after I got it a problem started. The torch would touch off, then cut the lead-in plus about one inch then turn off, a split second later the motion would also stop. The air pressure regulator LED's on the Thermodyne double as an error code indicator. Every time the torch shuts down it shows a "85 psi" error. I will list them later. The problem would occur in manual mode also.

After a long 3 way phone call the PlasmaRoute and Thermodyne techs determined the problem was with the plasma unit and told me to take it to an authorized repair center.

So I did. The tech said he found a bad curuit board. About 2wks later I'm back up and running.

Well now the problem is back. It is behaving exactly as before. The problem is intermittent. It will either cut the entire part correctly or cut one inch and turn off. The one thing that is 100% consistent is that the torch always turns off at the start, never later in the program.

I am beginning to wonder if there ever was a problem with the plasma unit. Any ideas? -ted

PlasmaRoute 4x8 watertable
    Thermal Dynamics A80
    MP3000
    Mach3 R3.042.020
    SheetCAM
    steppers
    As you know the "85" error is shorted torch. At least that is what it is on my Cutmaster 52. Does the center of the the start cartridge move up and down easily on the electrode.
    Do you have "dry" air?
    Are you getting "OK to move" signal from a current transformer or from the internal circuit board. I had problems using a current transformer.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by magma-joe View Post
    Watch your air pressure during the cut, if it drops below the minimum pressure even for a second or 2 it will shut down the torch.
    Thermal Dyn calls for 75psi for a 25' torch lead. With the machine at idle I'm at 85psi. The pressure drops when machine is running. When I run a program I have about one second of cutting before it shuts down but I am able to get a 75psi reading in that time. I turned it up a bit this morning just to rule it out. No change.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike 1948 View Post
    As you know the "85" error is shorted torch. At least that is what it is on my Cutmaster 52. Does the center of the the start cartridge move up and down easily on the electrode.
    Do you have "dry" air?
    Are you getting "OK to move" signal from a current transformer or from the internal circuit board. I had problems using a current transformer.

Mike

The list of "85" errors is as follows...
    Upper O ring wrong position
    Torch starter cartridge stuck
    worn torch parts.
    shorted torch
    Temporary short indicated by 5 blinks per second
    power supply failure

Yes, the starter cartridge moves freely. I am using a Motorgaurd air filter. Just looked at the filter, it looks new.

You will have to bear with me, I am still new to alot of this stuff.
    The closest thing I can come up with is the "arc ok" light in Mach. When the torch is cutting it is on. When the torch cuts out the light gos off.

I guess you are referring to an LED on a circuit board?

I have a hypertherm so this info is from my experience with that unit and can't say this will apply to your A80 unit...

At the torch where you screw the shield on Hypertherm calls it a "retaining cap" I have found if you screw the retaining cap on to tight it causes my unit to short. You want to leave it a little loose. Not tight at all.

Not sure if your A80 uses a simaliar design or not but I would check that for sure. Loosen it up a little and see if it helps.

One of my many test programs. A 6 hole array. The two false starts can be seen on the left. The third time it ran all 6 just fine.

PlasmaRoute is sending a new Thermal Dynamics cutter.

I'd like to here from the collective regarding the question...Will this fix the problem I am experiencing?

Meaning, is it possible to get an error on the plasma unit if the problem is with the THC or some other component?

Quote Originally Posted by Ted383 View Post
    PlasmaRoute is sending a new Thermal Dynamics cutter.

I'd like to here from the collective regarding the question...Will this fix the problem I am experiencing?

Meaning, is it possible to get an error on the plasma unit if the problem is with the THC or some other component?

Try the new cutter and see if the problem goes away. Make sure they automate it with the basic factory automation wire harness. If the problem is still there you probably have other issues.

Mike

The replacement plasma unit has been installed for a couple weeks. So far so good.

This is just a guess, but I'd say that your replacement circuitboard was bad. They often use refurbished stuff for replacement parts to keep costs down. Did you give them your old board back? If you did they'd likely send it to repair and have the components on the bad board replaced with new. Blah blah blah, suffice it to say that replacement parts like that are usually not 100% new and it's not uncommon for any major electronics to fail again after such a repair. It sucks, but it happens.